[serval-project-dev] Architecture questions

Paul Gardner-Stephen paul at servalproject.org
Sun Nov 27 01:28:14 PST 2011

Hello,

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 6:21 PM, Ben Hughes <ben at benrhughes.com> wrote:
> This is my basic understanding of the Serval architecture, please let me
> know if it's misguided:
>
> - BATMAN is the underlying protocol that is used to connect nodes on the
> mesh

Correct at present.  Ultimately DNA will include it's own custom mesh
routing protocol that drives an overlay mesh so that operating system
cooperation is not required, thus maximising portability.  It will
also support asynchronous and highly partitioned mesh networks.

> - DNA is a layer on top of batman that lets you use claimed numbers (and a
> public/private key pair) to identify nodes on the batman mesh

Yes.

> - when you make a mesh call, DNA resolves the number to a batman ip, and
> then attempts to establish a SIP connection (via asterix) to that address

That is right for now.  The overlay mesh will change things a bit, but
DNA will still do phone number to address resolution, it is just that
the addresses will be 256 bit public keys instead of IPv4 based SIP
addresses.  SIP will go by the way side as well, to be replaced by
something more suited to lossy wireless meshes.

> I know that there's more to it than that (social verification of claimed
> numbers, bridging networks, DID etc) but is that basically correct?
>
> If so, batman seems as though it's a vital (and complex) component in the
> stack. And from what I can tell, it seems pretty tied to *nix.

It is pretty tied to posix, not unix.  Windows and practically every
other operating system supports most of posix.
There will be some OS specific code.

> If I'm looking to port DNA to WP7, do I first need to port batman? Or put
> another way: is there any value in a batman-less DNA?

You do not need to first port BATMAN to produce something of value.
In the long term, Serval will be based on the increasingly pluripotent
Serval DNA daemon (which will probably get a rename from dna to
servald or similar at some point), that will handle everything, and
just need hooks to the audio and network channels on the host device.

Thus a C# port of DNA is exceptionally valuable.  It will also serve
as a good basis for a port to Windows.

Paul.

----- End forwarded message -----