[serval-project-dev] Why wireless mesh networks wonbt save us from censorship

Romana Challans romana at servalproject.org
Sun Nov 27 01:16:32 PST 2011

The argument comes from a single viewpoint. There will be occasions
where it is not a sufficient solution in and off itself, but will form
a component, at least when discussing censorship and politics.

There are more ways to communicate than just voice - data such as
location information, photos, videos, etc. They greatly increase the
possibilities of a mesh network.

Also, as I indicated, there are hybrid cases - as in the Serval model,
where one may end up on infrastructure at some point in the mesh -
which would be, by desire, safe infrastructure. Also, what we are
looking at with Trusted Users and other forms of security will greatly
enhance its usefulness in this area.

Maintenance is a non issue as we are mobile phone based - simply enter
and exit the mesh as needed.

Antennas - umm, what antennas? Ok, if you WANT some, they could be
hooked in to a hybrid system - but the Serval mesh is not reliant on
them, (well, if nit picky, only inasmuch as using the ones built in to
the handset;) )
The rest of the hardware arguments are, again, defeated by mobile phone usage.

As for breaking routing, we are taking multiple attacks on this, from
developing increasingly better protocols, to working with the IEEE on
improved standards.

Sorry, I just don't see his point - but then, I am lucky enough to be
working on a project which is leading the way in mesh networking:)))
He is wrong, but he has good points about education and things to
protest. However, one of us should contact him to explain there are
better options than what he has encountered.

And maybe these are good rebuttal points for the FAQ I am building for website?

r:)
Romana Challans
http://servalproject.org
Phone : (+61) 0403865721 Skype : timelady

----- End forwarded message -----