[serval-project-dev] Why wireless mesh networks wonbt save us from censorship

Song, Stephen stephen.song at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 01:52:21 PST 2011

On 27 November 2011 11:32, Jeremy Lakeman <jeremy at servalproject.org> wrote:
> "Reason 1: Management is hard and expensive."
> That's why we want a network that auto-discovers topology. And
> provides easy to use debugging information to assist in placement of
> additional nodes.

I agree that there is lots of scope for improving this.  Computers
used to be hard to use and Apple has succeeded in making them stupidly
easy.  This can happen for mesh networks too.

> "Reason 2: Omni-directional antennas suck. ... Reason 3: Your RF
> tricks wonbt help you here. ... Reason 4: Single-radio equipment
> doesnbt work; multi-radio equipment is very expensive."
> Fair enough. But we don't actually plan to build a wifi mesh network
> covering the globe. One un-censored connection to the internet is
> enough to join each little mesh network into the global internet.
> Store and forward; and wandering nodes may be enough to enable *some*
> communication in places where there isn't enough coverage yet for
> real-time traffic. Some communication is better than none.

The directional versus omnidirectional debate is a bit of a
red-herring I think.  The author seems to be assuming that all
connections would be distant or at the edge of WiFi capacity.  If mesh
nodes are reasonably close you could actually consider turning the
radio power down as opposed to up which would reduce interference.
Also, there is no reason not to have a "directed" mesh where
semi-directional devices like nsIIs or similar cover an arc of a
community.   There are lots of creative things that can be done here
such as mesh segmenting, supernodes, etc.  Perhaps that would
disqualify them from being traditional mesh networks but who gives a
stuff about that?

> "Reason 5: Unplanned mesh networks break routing"
> Well, partly. Sure you're going to use bandwidth in order to compute
> routing paths. But I think this is not insurmountable. Definitely
> needs to be more work in this area though to ensure you avoid routing
> loops and black holes. And this is something that we are already
> researching and plan to tackle further.
>
> "unplanned wireless mesh networks never work at scale"
> Yep, there's an "event horizon" issue. If you spend too much bandwidth
> describing remote paths through the network, you'll have nothing left
> for actual data. So we absolutely need to limit the distribution of
> full topology information to ensure that local nodes can still
> communicate even if the greater mesh network is practically infinite.
> Beyond that limit you either interconnect via the internet, or we
> invent some other high level structure, address prefix / numbering
> scheme.

So, from a Serval perspective this seems to be a good question.  If
the mesh protocol takes 1-2 minutes to "settle", how is it possible
for a mesh network based on moving mobile phones to update routes fast
enough to keep up.  Unless I miss something, the mesh routing is going
to be constantly playing catch up unless everyone stays still.

Have you guys done any testing of say 10 phones or more in a field
environment?

> There are 2 billion(-ish) people out there with no affordable access
> to communications. This is absolutely a problem we should be
> dedicating time to solve. Not just to "fight Internet censorship", but
> to allow these people to be heard.

Three unique problems:

1)  provide affordable communication infrastructure for those for whom
access is either unavailable or unaffordable, the so-called other
2-3billion
2)  provide resilient alternative communication infrastructure to
ensure that communication is not restricted by centralised control
3)  provide easy-to-deploy infrastructure for use in crisis/disaster
relief scenario

Mesh network infrastructure can potentially address all three of those
issue but your technology development priorities will change depending
on which one of the above is your mission.  Which one is Serval's
mission?

Cheers... Steve

> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 7:17 PM, Alasdair Mclellan
> <alasdair at servalproject.org> wrote:
>> Hmm,
>> There are a bunch of good points in this article, but none of them take into
>> account the simple facts that;
>> 1) An unplanned mesh is better than nothing (and 'nothing' is our primary
>> use case), and
>> 2) Everyone has a handset.
>> Replacing the Internet with an unplanned mesh is, indeed, hard - especially
>> when you need a dedicated node type to do so. Using people's existing
>> handsets changes the game a bit (although exactly how much remains to be
>> seen).
>> Just my quick $0.02.
>> Cheers,
>> --
>> Alasdair.
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Ben Hughes <ben at benrhughes.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> http://sha.ddih.org/2011/11/26/why-wireless-mesh-networks-wont-save-us-from-censorship/
>>>
>>> Via hackernews. Would be interested in hearing what tguys think, seeing as
>>> you have lots of real-world experience.
>>>
>>> Ben
>>>
>>> --
>>
>> --