[serval-project-dev] We have store-and-forward SMS working on the mesh

StealthMonger StealthMonger at nym.mixmin.net
Wed Nov 23 09:10:13 PST 2011

Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> writes:

> ----- Forwarded message from Paul Gardner-Stephen <paul at servalproject.org> -----

> From: Paul Gardner-Stephen <paul at servalproject.org>
> Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 23:30:46 +1030
> To: serval-project-developers at googlegroups.com
> Subject: [serval-project-dev] We have store-and-forward SMS working on the mesh

> See http://servalpaul.blogspot.com/2011/11/demonstrating-serval-rhizome-store-and.html
> for some details, video and cartoon to explain a little of how it
> works.  I am also working on a white paper that describes it in much
> more detail.

Could this enable phone-based anonymizing remailers having long random
latency for mixing?  How much memory is available, typically?

I know, this question belongs on the serval-project-developers mailing
list, so I'm trying to subscribe there now.

   This service uses direct mesh links if they are available by making
   use of the existing SMS capability in the Serval BatPhone software.
   However, if there is no direct link, then it uses a
   store-and-forward scheme, that asks any passing phones to copy the
   message and distribute it to other phones on the mesh, until it
   (hopefully) eventually reaches its intended destination.

Reinventing SMTP! :)

   While the delay in such a service is huge, the bandwidth is also
   great, as potentially gigabytes of data can be transferred between
   nodes.

These are both valuable attributes for anonymizing remailers.

- --

 -- StealthMonger <StealthMonger at nym.mixmin.net>
    Long, random latency is part of the price of Internet anonymity.

   anonget: Is this anonymous browsing, or what?
   http://groups.google.ws/group/alt.privacy.anon-server/msg/073f34abb668df33?dmode=source&output=gplain

   stealthmail: Hide whether you're doing email, or when, or with whom.
   mailto:stealthsuite at nym.mixmin.net?subject=send%20index.html

Key: mailto:stealthsuite at nym.mixmin.net?subject=send%20stealthmonger-key