License Plate Scanners Logging Our Every Move

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Wed Nov 23 08:13:36 PST 2011

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 10:03:24AM -0600, J.A. Terranson wrote:
> >
> > This has been going on for at least three years now.  Almost every PD
> > vehicle (marked and unmarked) will likely be outfitted in the next five
> > years (based on talks with PD friends of mine who think this is the be all
> > end all of "cool").  Bah.
>
> Same thing in Germany. We seem to be seriously fucked, aren't we.
>
> What annoys me most is that nobody seems to give a flying fuck.
> As if I was the weirdo, not them.
>
> I have a feeling this won't end well.

It already hasnt ended well.  The USA is a virtual police state (no# 18 on
human rights IIRC), and even worse, is the standard bearer for what other
"democratic countries" wish to emulate.

I recently had a discussion with my kids: I was trying to apologize for my
part in making the current worl what it has become today.  Having been at
the beginning of microprocessing, crypto, etc., I (we?) all thought we
were changing the world for the better - i.e., we would use these efforts
to leave the world a better place than when we found it.  But that hasn't
just been a false belief, it's been a self-inflicted lie.  I (we) have
helped to create the technology that George Orwell could only fantasize
about: we have destroyed our own societies with our attempts at
improvement through thechnology.

<sad face>

//Alif

--
I hate Missouri.  Land of the free, home of the perjuriously deranged.