[FoRK] Fwd: [ PFIR ] Google announces opt-out for wi-fi location database, but beware of possible side effects

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Tue Nov 15 05:28:04 PST 2011

I don't get it.  Why would Google ever know anything about your Wifi? If
you choose to make your ssid publicly broadcast, it's publicly broadcast.
At least they admit to it unlike the tens of other people who discovered
it.  Is the complaint that they've just reduced the cost to centralized the
info and made it searchable?  Likewise, if you don't properly password
protect that publicly broadcast ssid, you will have people using it.  If
you care anything about security, not to mention privacy, you shouldn't be
broadcasting that at all.

I have a better idea, we should have a campaign that everyone change their
ssid to "wireless," "netgear," "linksys," or "default."

Greg

----- End forwarded message -----