[Freedombox-discuss] Introducing the Technical Advisory Committee

Ted Smith teddks at gmail.com
Sat May 28 01:20:50 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-05-27 at 22:50 -0500, J.A. Terranson wrote:
> On Fri, 27 May 2011, Ted Smith wrote:
>
> > Hopefully now the people on the mailing list who stupidly propose and
> > stupidly shoot down PET-related freedombox things will shut up, since
> > it's clear they have no actual say.
>
> "Stupidly"?  Is it "stupid" because it's a view you disagree with, or is
> it stupid for some other STUPID, ad-hominem reason?
>
> //Alif

A lot of (sure, not all, but most) the PET-related ideas are stupid, and
shooting down ideas because they aren't in keeping with the "vision of
the FreedomBox" is stupid unless you work for the FBF and actually can
state with authority what is and isn't the freedombox.

The mailing list has turned into a platform for:

      * people with little to no PET experience to propose crazy ideas
        (like "the freedombox should square zooko's triangle out of the
        box" or "we should figure out how to use X.509 for a
        peer-to-peer horizontalist solution to whatever problem faces
        us")
      * people to shout down the above people with non-existent
        authority.

For a project that got a pretty good amount of money on kickstarter,
that's just stupid.