[silk] Bitcoin

Jeffrey Paul sneak at datavibe.net
Tue May 17 16:09:49 PDT 2011

On 18 May, 2011, at 01:00 , Peter Thoenen wrote:

> I'm not so sure
> that's true.  Given the network at all times knows the amount of nodes out
> there (hence the 50%+1 rule for consensus) it would be trivial for a NSA
> (Nation State Actor, not TLA) to stand up 50%+1 virtual nodes fast enough
> gain consensus and usurp the currencies (tokens) if I understand correctly
the
> mechanism for determining legitimate tokens from the EconTalk interview.  Am
> missing something here?

You are.  The moment that they stop doing that, the legitimate network
overtakes it and restores order.  It would have to be a sustained attack until
all users of the network had abandoned it.

Furthermore, it is really only a minor denial-of-service, because solving 100%
of the blocks going forward only allows you to deny confirmation of the
transactions of others, and to double-spend your own pre-existing coins.

The moment the attack stops, the legitimate network would begin catching up,
and would soon overtake it.

-jp

Jeffrey Paul        -datavibe-        sneak at datavibe.net
+1 (800) 403-1126              http://sneak.datavibe.net
    5539AD00 DE4C42F3 AFE11575 052443F4 DF2A55C2
           "Virtue is its own punishment."