FBI tracking device teardown

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon May 9 08:17:25 PDT 2011

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Tracking-Device-Teardown/5250/1

Disclaimer: We love the FBI. We've worked with them on several occasions to
fight crime and locate criminals. We've helped them with instructions on
gaining entry into certain devices. We have nothing against them, and we hope
they don't come after us for publishing this teardown.

Now that we're in the clear, it's TEARDOWN time!

We partnered with Wired to bring you a peek inside an FBI car-tracking
device. The device was loaned to us by an unknown owner and is similar to the
one Yasir Afifi found underneath his car.

The device comprises of a GPS unit for receiving the car's position, an RF
transmitter for relaying your location to the interested authority (aka the
FBI), and a set of sweet D-cell batteries that power the whole enchilada. But
we didn't stop there, of course. Read on to find out exactly what components
make this secretive device tick.