Iranian state-sponsored cyberwarfare is indistinguishable from script kiddies

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 23:11:35 PDT 2011

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 9:34 PM, Peter Gutmann
<pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
> Pretty much every news report I've seen so far that mentions any kind of
> Iranian connection is claiming that it's Iranian state-sponsored hacking.

pretty amusing, to be sure.

(years ago i quit being frustrated by lazy, inaccurate, attention porn
news programming and decided to be amused instead. i am often amused!
there are worse things...)

>  If ... [this] ... is an indication of their competence then we really
> have nothing to fear from them.

nothing in the "cyber domain", certainly. they're quite adept at old
skewl though...

> So what we have here is either (a) the world's most incompetent state-
> sponsored cyberwar program, who get the keys to the kingdom and then have
no
> idea what to do with them, or (b) a bunch of script kiddies having fun.
> What do you reckon the odds are?

considering the poorly deployed, poorly managed, poorly maintained
iranian networking and computing systems in question, Occam says
someone having fun through iranian pwn hops...

(not to mention, who better to place blame upon? what a great diversion! :)