US military weaponizes sockpuppets

lodewijk andré de la porte lodewijkadlp at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 14:24:34 PDT 2011

2011/3/22 Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>

>  that would enable 50 military spies to
> manage 10 fake identities each.

I'm sorry, what? This could be done manually!
I think there going for millions of online persona's that in an automatic
natural language generating way creates believable "people", then having
them post similar messages (think the stream of "It's payback for Pearl
Harbor" messages on Facebook) to insinuate an idea upon the collective of
users of that medium. Or simply create a trending topic on Twitter.

I doubt they're interested in a tool that combines proxy's, header spoofing
and a custom Facebook interface (and Twitter and whatnot) so their spy's can
hold some sock puppets (let alone pay almost 3 mil for it).

Then again: only in the US, right?