[Freedombox-discuss] distributed DNS

Boaz alt.boaz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 19:25:24 PDT 2011

Okay, so the people who are working on various aspects of the problem
of decentralized replacement for DNS can keep working, and the people
who think that decentralized replacement for DNS is not possible or
not worthwhile can keep thinking that.  If there's something by way of
decentralized DNS replacement good enough early enough to be included
in the first release of freedom box, great, if not, fine.  If not,
then whenever (if ever) a decentralized DNS replacement emerges, it
can be integrated into freedom box.

In the meanwhile, we can implement a decentralized non-memorizeable
system of addressing based on public keys, and use that optionally in
parallel with regular DNS.

I really think that non-memorizeable addresses are fine for most
purposes, though clearly less than ideal.  Since the address itself
doesn't make representations about the person behind it, those claims
are made in the actual body of the publicly accessible page.  And
these unwieldy names can be unauthenticated initially, until they are
authenticated by a web of trust or ZRTP-style voice authentication.

You can still send someone such an address electronically no problem.
Also, you can find it by search.  Imagine that you're looking for
someone named John Doe.  You type John Doe into the person search bar
of the interface you use to interact with your freedom box.  It
contacts a web search engine and does a search for John Doe and the
appropriate markup.  It displays the results, you pick out the one
claiming to be the John Doe you're looking for, and you contact him.
Authentication can take place at a later time.

And a human meaningful name can be assigned (by the person or by you)
which your local agent can map to the unwieldy address (the petname
approach).  Realistically, we already rely on this all the time; a
cellphone for example gives you a menu to choose between people whose
actual routing addresses (phone numbers) it has remembered for you.

Optionally, John Doe might also have a plain old domain name, which he
can give you on a slip of paper at a party, which points to the same
place as the non-memorizeable address.  Again, since you don't trust
the DNS provider as far as you can throw it, you'll authenticate in
some way outside of the addressing.

If we are going to place reliance on DNS, we would do well to make
some arrangements for some DNS providers that are friendly to our
needs (as people have been talking about what those are).  I see these
as being at least a subset of the desirable attributes for a
"freedom-friendly" DNS provider:

1. Is incorporated and physically served out of a jurisdiction with
relatively friendly laws.
2. Is committed to continue operating long haul.
3. Keeps no logs at all for longer than say, a week.
4. Will respond to any request for either information or denial of
service which is not legally compulsory by saying shove off and
informing the customer.
5. Will respond to any request for either information or denial of
service which is legally compulsory by waiting the longest legal
amount of time before complying and immediately informing the
customer, unless not able to legally inform the customer.
6. If not able to legally inform the customer, will fight in legal
channels for the freedom to inform the customer.
7. All of this is spelled out in a legally binding service agreement.

But additionally, in order for people to have their own domains, it
needs to cost way less in terms of both money and, more importantly,
hassle than it currently does.

Whatever arrangements we make for freedom box friendly DNS service
should involve costing almost no to no money ($15 per year or whatever
isn't a lot, but it is a lot compared to the unfree services which
people are currently using completely free of charge).  Maybe the cost
of the first 10 years of DNS service from one of a whole list of
participating service providers should be rolled up into the price of
the device?  Just a thought.

Appropriate arrangements should also involve extremely low hassle
domain registration.  Something like, you choose a provider from a
pull down menu, or type in one that you know about, type in your
desired second (or lower) level domain, and hit enter, and it
automatically contacts the provider, registers the domain, and points
it to your box.  Do people think that could be possible?  Perhaps
using lower level domains, as some have suggested?

But more important, I think, than trying to find a good provider is to
make it as easy as possible for people to switch from misbehaving
providers.  One feature that would help tremendously (especially if
we're going to create a system of almost or completely free of charge,
easy to register subdomains), one feature which a few people have
already proposed, is a machine language for your box, using the proper
cryptographic credentials, to inform your friends that you, who used
to be found at foo.example.com, will now be found at foo.bar.net.  In
other words, your real identity as far as your friends are concerned
is your key.  Your domain name is just a way for your friends to find
you in the network.  If your domain name has changed, why should you
need to tell your actual human friends about this.  Just tell their
boxes and let them take care of it.

I wish I already had this feature for email.  If I have an email
address boaz at example.com, and example.com does something to upset me,
and I hate example.com, and I never want to have any further dealings
with those bastards at example.com, there's nothing I can do.  I've
already told three hundred people who I want to be able to contact me
for all time, that my address is boaz at example.com.  I'll have to keep
monitoring boaz at example.com forever.  Unless I want to do one of these
terrible mass mailings that everyone hates (I've received several of
these, and it's a sorry sight).

----- End forwarded message -----