[cryptography] Reliably Erasing Data From Flash-Based Solid State Drives

Alexander Klimov alserkli at inbox.ru
Sun Mar 6 02:29:17 PST 2011

It is also harder to rely on SSD as evidence.

  Digital evidence is increasingly relied upon in computer
  forensic examinations and legal proceedings in the modern
  courtroom. The primary storage technology used for digital
  information has remained constant over the last two decades,
  in the form of the magnetic disc.  Consequently,
  investigative, forensic, and judicial procedures are
  well-established for magnetic disc storage devices (Carrier,
  2005). However, a paradigm shift has taken place in technology
  storage and complex, transistor-based devices for primary
  storage are now increasingly common. Most people are aware of
  the transition from portable magnetic floppy discs to portable
  USB transistor flash devices, yet the transition from magnetic
  hard drives to solid-state drives inside modern computers has
  so far attracted very little attention from the research
  community.

  Here we show that it is imprudent and potentially reckless to
  rely on existing evidence collection processes and procedures,
  and we demonstrate that conventional assumptions about the
  behaviour of storage media are no longer valid. In particular,
  we demonstrate that modern storage devices can operate under
  their own volition in the absence of computer instructions.
  Such operations are highly destructive of traditionally
  recoverable data.  This can contaminate evidence; can
  obfuscate and make validation of digital evidence reports
  difficult; can complicate the process of live and dead
  analysis recovery; and can complicate and frustrate the post
  recovery forensic analysis.

  Our experimental findings demonstrate that solid-state drives
  (SSDs) have the capacity to destroy evidence catastrophically
  under their own volition, in the absence of specific
  instructions to do so from a computer.

--
Regards,
ASK