[cryptography] Digital cash in the news...

Ian G iang at iang.org
Sat Jun 11 07:22:08 PDT 2011

On 11/06/11 9:01 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 03:58:07PM +1200, Peter Gutmann wrote:
>> "John Levine"<johnl at iecc.com>  writes:
>>
>>> I wouldn't call bitcoins digital cash.  They're more like digital tulip bulbs,
>>
>> Finally an analogy I can use to explain bitcoin to the masses (well, assuming
>> they know about the tulip mania).  I've been using Bartercard, which is a good
>> analogy but somewhat limited in international recognition.
>
> Tulips were an investment bubble, not means of payment.

A requirement for a bubble would be a promise of ever-growing value, the
rest is just the marketing.

> People are so
> quick to trust alternative local currencies and digital currencies
> because the official currencies have issues with being gamed (e.g.
> built-in inflation tax).

Yes, this is what I mean by the obsession against government monies, which
makes people vulnerable to putting their value into alternate currencies.
Their desire to thumb their nose against the government outweights their
desire to manage value wisely.  To the extent that people put their funtime
income into this, it's the same as movies, gambling, porn.  Fine, but some
people will inevitably invest their fortunes in it...

What is most extraordinary about the current thing -- and what tends to
confirm "bubble" to me -- is that the same people who were desperate for
the privacy promise of blinded bearer coins are projecting their old
privacy beliefs on the nymous BitCoin:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/230084/us_senators_want_to_shut_down_bitcoins_the_currency_of_internet_drug_trade.html
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/08/us-financial-bitcoins-idUSTRE7573T320110608

The biggest drive towards the use of Bitcoins on sites like Silk Road is
that they supposedly cannot be traced [1]. However, a member of the
Bitcoin core development team told Gawker that "...because all Bitcoin
transactions are recorded in a public log, though the identities of all
the parties are anonymous, law enforcement could use sophisticated network
analysis techniques to parse the transaction flow and track down
individual Bitcoin users."

Such a comparison was denied vociferously in bearer days.  Blinded
transactions were the only way to do it, and the nymous architecture now
seen in BitCoin was considered evil because the issuer could supposedly
see "all".

Worse than a private nymous system, this one is public?!  What could be
easier to datamine than a public database?  Give me a public database and a
handful of subpoenas, and this thing goes down.

iang

[1] Note confused terms there.  BitCoin can be traced, but the holders
aren't identified.  This is called "nymous" in the trade.  In contrast,
bearer coins could not be traced, but typically the holders had identified
accounts.  "Untraceable."  One system achieves privacy through a perpetual
public key account mechanism, the other through an untraceable transfer
between known persons.  You can take these axes and combine them to create
4 spaces if you desire...

----- End forwarded message -----