[tahoe-lafs-weekly-news] TWN #7

Patrick R McDonald marlowe at antagonism.org
Sat Jul 16 09:05:46 PDT 2011

i=====================================================
 Tahoe-LAFS Weekly News, issue number 7, July 16, 2011

Announcements and News
======================

Andrew Miller covered `using Tahoe with Pagekite`_.  This HOWTO allows
people to reach your Tahoe nodes even if they are behind a firewall or
NAT.  Andrew, we would love to see this posted to `Tahoe-LAFS Tips &
Tricks`_.

.. _`using Tahoe with PageKite`: http://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2011-July/006534.html
.. _`Tahoe-LAFS Tips & Tricks`: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/TipsTricks

Open Source Project of the Week
===============================

The Open Source Project of the Week is Freenet_.  A question asked by
erniejunior in #tahoe-lafs inspired this choice.  erniejunior asked "hi
guys short question. is tahoe as secure and anonymous as freenet? what
are the differences?"  So we created ticket 1427_ to answer this
question in FAQ.rst.

"Freenet is free software which lets you anonymously share files, browse
and publish "freesites" (web sites accessible only through Freenet) and
chat on forums, without fear of censorship. Freenet is decentralised to
make it less vulnerable to attack, and if used in "darknet" mode, where
users only connect to their friends, is very difficult to detect." [1_]

.. _Freenet: http://freenetproject.org/
.. _1427: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1427
.. _1: http://freenetproject.org/whatis.html

>From the tahoe-dev Mailing List
===============================

Shu Lin and sickness discussed running Tahoe as a `Windows service`_.

Greg Troxel posted the paper_, "Cost-Bandwidth Tradeoff In Distributed
Storage Systems" by Soroush Akhlaghi, Abbas Kiani and Mohammad Reza
Ghanavati.

Renat Garaev announced he made a `Live CD`_ with Tahoe-LAFS on it.

Zooko and bertagaz discussed the problem of `multiple introducers`_
(distributed introduction).  Ticket 68_ has a patch for this.  The patch
needs a unit to simulate the Myckel's Tahoe-LAFS grid's issue.

I volunteered to write patch for 1420_.

.. _`Windows service`: http://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2011-July/006528.html
.. _`Live CD`: http://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2011-July/006527.html
.. _`multiple introducers`: http://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2011-July/006532.html
.. _68: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/68
.. _paper: http://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2011-July/006544.html

Patch Needing Review of the Week
================================

The Patch Needing Review of the Week is 1420_.  I understand this is a
little premature, the patch won't be out until tomorrow.  However, this
will be my first patch for Tahoe-LAFS.  This patch will add a man page
for tahoe as written by bertagaz.  I am really looking forward to
writing this patch.

.. _1420: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1420

----

*The Tahoe-LAFS Weekly News is published once a week by The Tahoe-LAFS
Software Foundation, President and Treasurer: Peter Secor. Scribes:
Patrick "marlowe" McDonald, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn, Editor: Zooko.* `View
TWN on the web`_ *or* `subscribe to TWN`_ *. Send your news stories to*
marlowe at antagonism.org_ *b submission deadline: Friday night.*

.. _marlowe at antagonism.org: mailto:marlowe at antagonism.org

----- End forwarded message -----