[P2P-F] Bitcoin @ EFF

Douglas Rushkoff rushkoff at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 09:16:31 PST 2011

Fascinating. Sounds like he got the same attack that Paypal did in the early days, when the banks went after the company for earning its profit on the "float."

The thing that could bring Bitcoin to its knees in the US is the tax law. Ultimately, the network operator would be responsible for tax reporting when people are making exchanges of value and not using cash. I found all this out while working with the Superfluid guys.  If I administrate trades for you like ebay does, in US currency, I'm not obligated to produce 1099's. If I don't do the value exchange in dollars, I must report the dollar equivalency to the IRS.

This law has yet to be enforced, but it surely would be if any of these currencies scaled up.

----- End forwarded message -----