[p2p-hackers] How Piracy Will Hyperlocalize with Mesh Networks

Alexandre Dulaunoy a at foo.be
Tue Jan 18 00:43:26 PST 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 8:06 AM, David Barrett <dbarrett at quinthar.com> wrote:
> It occurs to me that you could probably do most of this, today, using
> Bluetooth.  Indeed, does anybody know anything about the various
> Bluetooth mesh networks / scatternets I see on Google?

There are some experiments or academic test like piconetwork. There was one
call NAN : Near-me area network but I don't know any public implementation.

Piconet was something foreseen for Bluetooth but I don't know if there is
current any use of it.

In the same spirit (relying on any local IP networks), I prototyped Forban
to share files in an opportunist way on temporary networks or mobile networks.
The protocol is really simple : relying on HTTP for everything except
the announce
part in broadcast (in IPv4) and in multicast (in IPv6).

http://www.foo.be/forban/
https://github.com/adulau/Forban

I looked at the early beginning at Bluetooth but the most common network, where
everyone is connected to, is more wireless local area networks using IP even
recent phone are using plain standard IP over 802.11.

If you have any ideas, let me know.

Kind regards,

--
--                   Alexandre Dulaunoy (adulau) -- http://www.foo.be/