Computers That See You and Keep Watch Over You

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Mon Jan 3 10:58:56 PST 2011

<SNIP>

> Google could have put face recognition into the Goggles application; indeed,
> many users have asked for it. But Google decided against it because
> smartphones can be used to take pictures of individuals without their
> knowledge, and a face match could retrieve all kinds of personal information
> b name, occupation, address, workplace.

It was just too sensitive, and we didnbt want to go there,b
 said Eric E.
> Schmidt, the chief executive of Google. b
You want to avoid enabling stalker
> behavior.b

Coming from Google, "not wanting to enable stalker behaviour" is a rich
irony indeed. The world's largest and most sophisticated stalker "has
concerns"...  Yeah.

//Alif

--
"Never belong to any party, always oppose privileged classes and public
plunderers, never lack sympathy with the poor, always remain devoted to

Joseph Pulitzer, 1907 Speech