[p2p-hackers] Why Political Liberty Depends on Software Freedom More Than Ever / was Some Clarifications regarding Egypt

Marc Manthey marc at let.de
Mon Feb 21 09:20:47 PST 2011

Am 20.02.2011 um 00:31 schrieb David Barrett:

> I think the Freedom Box should take a similar approach.  It should
> arrive pre-configured with the wifi network name and network printed
> on
> a (removable) sticker on the side.  The first browser to connect to it
> should get a happy webpage explaining how it works and ask the fewest
> possible configuration steps.  In fact, maybe the first time any new
> MAC
> address connects to it, show a nice welcome page.

Yes i think the technologie is developed allready, imagine " zeroconf"
for the hassle free configuration and publishing of services

http://www.dns-sd.org/  and http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/uia/

All things just need to put together like eben said. :)

or a commercial solution

AllJoynb" is a peer-to-peer technology that enables ad hoc, proximity-
based,
device-to-device communication without the use of an intermediary
server.
https://www.alljoyn.org/

greetings

Marc

> Then have a big "reset" button on the side that wipes the brick and
> restores it to factory settings.  The wipe should be so thorough as to
> make it literally impossible to know if anybody has ever used it.
> This
> is good for security, as well as for just fixing it when something
> goes
> wrong.
>
> -david
>
> On 02/19/2011 03:18 PM, Mats Henricson wrote:
>> Well, a lot of people are willing to take a hit when it comes to
>> ease of use
>> to get more privacy. We're even willing to pay for one of these
>> plugs.
>>
>> Mats
>>
>> On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 11:12 PM, Chris Palmer
>> <chris at noncombatant.org
>> <mailto:chris at noncombatant.org>> wrote:
>>
>>    Eugen Leitl writes:
>>
>>> Tor, Tahoe-LAFS, i2p, tinc, some kind of opportunistic
>>> encryption are obvious candidates, but what else?
>>
>>    The purpose of Freedom Box is to compete with cloud services,
>> which are
>>    notable for their ease of use. That is much less true of these
>>    technologies.
>>    I don't see how Freedom Box can succeed without taking the
>> usability
>>    problem
>>    head-on.
>>

>>    --
>>    http://noncombatant.org/
>>
>>    "These days, though, you have to be pretty technical before you
>> can even
>>    aspire to crudeness." --- William Gibson

Les enfants teribbles - research / deployment
Marc Manthey- Vogelsangerstrasse 97
50823 KC6ln - Germany
Tel.:0049-221-29891489
Mobil:0049-1577-3329231