"Nobody Wins a Nuclear War" But "Success" is Possible (fwd)

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Sat Feb 19 14:59:39 PST 2011

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 12:59:45AM -0600, J.A. Terranson wrote:
>
> > Me too.  Practicing "Duck and Cover!" at school always left you with a
> > particularly grim schoolday.
>
> On the other side of the Iron Curtain, it wasn't the duck and cover
> exercises (that never happened, or was before my time), but the
> nuclear weapon education posters on the walls. Yeah, these did really
> cheer you up.

What exactly was on these posters? Self-defense information, or weapon
how-does-it-work type stuff?

> I also found the AK-47s in the weapon education chamber in
> our school slightly unnerving. No idea where the older kids
> got trained on weapon handling if at all, that must have been
> at higher grades than 7th.

HOW COOL IS *THAT*!  Weapon education chamers? Shit!  I grew up in NYC,
where there are *zero* legal guns, unless you're LEA or one of the under
100 people who could afford the weekly $500.00 bribe!  Not that handguns
weren't all over the schools - almost everyone in my class carried at IS44
(IS == "Intermediate School". Kinda of like junior high school and high
school all in one: grades 6-12), since the likelyhood of needing to defend
yourself was very close to 100%  NYC schools in the 60's were horror
shows, even in the better neighborhoods (which I certainly didn't live!).

Our "weapons education" was going out at night and shooting out street
lamps (at $1.00 per shot to the betting pool - first to take the light
gets the pool. Not so easy with a <3 inch barrel on a saturday night
special!).  I am in envy of you and your schools :-)

//Alif

--
"Never belong to any party, always oppose privileged classes and public
plunderers, never lack sympathy with the poor, always remain devoted to

Joseph Pulitzer, 1907 Speech