<nettime> A DIY Data Manifesto by Scott Gilbertson

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Feb 8 23:55:51 PST 2011

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 03:33:56AM +0000, John Case wrote:

> Look, this is all fine and good - everyone with two brain cells to rub
> together immediately thought "mesh network" - not for Egypt, per se, but
> anytime in the last four years that this issue has come up.
>
> But you go digging into the guts of this and you'll find that you only
> have to get about three levels deep before the whole thing is a mess.
>
> Start reading the mailing list archives of MANET, BATMAN, OLSR, and so
> on, and you'll find that there are serious, serious
> math/network[1]/graphing/etc. issues that are nowhere near to being
> solved on any scale larger than your neighborhood.

Ok, if you map hyperlattice to a sphere surrounding Earth (for
other gravity wells, use a hierarchical subnet) derived mostly
from WGS84 position fixes, and otherwise visibility/ToF mutual
triangulation and store only local deviations from idealicity,
and implement long-distance via VPN over Internet initially,
and use geographic routing where are the scale limits?

I mean, sure, there are a gazillion ways to do it wrong, and
only a couple to do it right. But this doesn't mean the problem
is unsolvable.