[FoRK] Chons

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Feb 7 13:37:21 PST 2011

On Sun, Feb 06, 2011 at 11:44:39PM +0000, John Case wrote:

>> ORCHID address space is perfect for this type of thing, and there are
>> particular extensions well suited to this. [0][1]
>

> Why, in (egyption) situations like this, would you want location data
> embedded in your addressing scheme ?

Location is only available in point-to-point connections, of course
you're free to run remixing layers on top of that infrastructure.

> It seems like one would do hard work to ensure such encapsulation was NOT
> happening...

If you want to do cut-through at relativistic speed there are not
many options left. If you want to obscure origins, use anonymization
implemented in higher layers.

> Or is this just a scheme for fair and reasonable address allocation in an
> anarchy to avoid collisions ?

That's one of the side effects: it cuts out the middlemen like IANA,
RIRs and LIRs. Anyone can compute one's geographical positions either
from global or local references, and you're free to refuse peering
from position fakers. Faking disturbances takes ownership of the local
loop, and is easily checked by referencing global beakons.