[p2p-hackers] What we should build for the Egyptian (and other) protesters

Jeff Rose rosejn at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 07:49:11 PST 2011

Great thread David.  Helping in this kind of situation is what drew me
to P2P, and I wish we would have this kind of discussion more often
here.

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 12:28 AM, Julian Cain <julian at junglecat.org> wrote:

> The answer is alternative communications. Ham, CB, etc. With those the possibilities are endless. They are very reliable. They are very scalable. They can carry "any" message payload.

With the consolidation of ISPs building alternative networks is going
to be the major hurdle we'll have to cross to enable a P2P internet,
even on a local scale.  Otherwise the people will be beholden to the
kill switch, and (P2P) traffic that is deemed undesirable will be
easily filtered.

These steerable plasma antennas that are being looked at for future
versions of wifi could be one technology that opens the door for
community driven mesh networks:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20827904.600-wireless-at-the-speed-of-plasma.html

Maybe one important step for rapid adoption in crisis situations is
P2P application download and install.  If it was a one click operation
to grab a mesh-enabled twitter app from your friend it would spread
quickly.

-Jeff

----- End forwarded message -----