[liberationtech] Has anyone heard about this?

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 02:40:27 PST 2011

Here is a face to this discussion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3amtfjP9GY

We have a bit of coordination with playful minds at my end to. We
actually evolved a culture of hacking in Pakistan during the last
decade and this involved a lot of grassroots efforts:

I have spent a few hours occasionally with various groups around the
world. The latest was with the Hackerspace in Budapest
http://hsbp.org, it was a wonderful experience. In the past I was also
part of various efforts to educate activists, journalists, developers
from nearly 40 countries to design advocacy campaigns using open
technology. I also got the opportunity to lecture during my visit to
Central European University in June this year on how to design online
advocacy campaigns using simplistic open source tools.

On the other hand, I have been working with multilateral institutions
to impart Linux and FOSS knowledge in developing countries since 2004.
I just completed two training missions to Kabul Afghanistan and
Islamabad training trainers using Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu Server, other
distributions, Open Standards, Open ICT Ecosystem, various tool kits
and shared the opportunity in sustaining Freedom and Common Good
offered by Open Source! I covered 35 participants/trainers from 10
organizations, govt departments, regulators and universities. Here are
pictures from Kabul and the guy in black is you know who:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.276788829038093.85766.194521240598186&type=1

I sustain the Ubuntu Linux LoCo Team for Pakistan since 2004. Here is
the link to it:http://www.facebook.com/groups/27138955736/

I very much have access to people and communities, one thing we lack
is access to a physical space and lots of internet but lacking funds
remains the only issue. I have funded myself nearly 10 events,
campaigns, 50,000 live cds etc but its hard to sustain the effort
especially in the conditions like my region but yes, the effort has
been here on the ground for quite some time now.

In the west, there are just so many small and easy ways to raise funds
through sites like http://www.ulule.com/ and Kiva and so forth. Its
not the case in regions like Pakistan. Only single faces have access
to support from a particular class. We on the other hand contribute on
our own as much as we can and the efforts do move on.

I take you advice and will stay in touch.

--
Regards.
--------------------------

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 9:39 AM, Moritz Bartl <moritz at torservers.net> wrote:
> For Piratebox, pretty much any OpenWRT compatible router with USB should
> do: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start
> There is also a version for Android that turns your phone into a
> Piratebox: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=935157
>
> As you might be aware I plan a hackerspace Europe tour for next year,
> and naturally have been thinking about exactly this area a lot. It would
> be nice to connect mentors you who are willing and able to travel and
> help you build spaces, and there are some efforts in that direction, for
> example the Space Federation.
>
> http://schoolfactory.org/content/space-federation-overview
>
> In the center of my trip is exactly this kind of organizational
> information that I hope to add to hackerspaces.org eventually.
>
> In general, infrastructure should come first. You only need to find a
> small handful of people and a place where you can regularly meet and
> work cooperatively. The nice thing about Hackerspaces is that every
> single one of them is unique, formed from a core idea of a very small
> group of people.
>
> http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Design_Patterns
>

> On 12.12.2011 23:44, Fouad Bajwa wrote:
>> I wonder if I can get one of these boxes to Pakistan. We will just
>> need one example and I can use these in my Internet Freedom Workshops
>> here in Lahore.....or during some activist activities/meets......there
>> are numerous ideas...
>>
>> I am thinking about starting a hackspace effort in this region but
>> need some mentoring and advice too. DIY tools like this could help us
>> alot down here, maybe add solar battery charging etc to it to combat
>> the power/energy crisis in Pakistan.....building networked learning
>> applications in local language and visuals.....the biggest tool to
>> bring community empowered change.....with open technology...
>>
>> all this gets me thinking!
>>

> --
> Moritz Bartl
> http://www.hackerbus.eu/
> https://www.torservers.net/
>
> If you would like to receive a daily digest, click "yes" (once you click above) next to "would you like to receive list mail batched in a daily digest?"
>
> You will need the user name and password you receive from the list moderator in monthly reminders.
>
> Should you need immediate assistance, please contact the list moderator.
>
> Please don't forget to follow us on http://twitter.com/#!/Liberationtech

Should you need to change your subscription options, please go to:

----- End forwarded message -----