From Facebook's Hackathon, TCP re-implemented over chat in a post-SOPA world

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Dec 4 14:26:04 PST 2011

On Sun, Dec 04, 2011 at 03:53:44PM -0600, J.A. Terranson wrote:

> If they are willing to go through all of the trouble of reimplementation,
> wouldn't it have made a LOT more sense to implement GRE rather than TCP,
> then just pump whatever they wanted through the GRE tunnel in whatever
> protocol they wanted?

I'd consider is just a publicity stunt. A proof of principle that you
can abuse the proprietary platforms. Nothing really unexpected, but,
still nice to see Nyan cat with FB as a transport layer.

I think grainy video (my, that's sure a crappy CMOS sensor) has lots more
of payload bandwidth. Plenty of telecommuters working from home.
Lots of standing video channels.