[p2p-hackers] A globally distributed peer-to-peer data archive

Wes Felter wesley at felter.org
Tue Aug 30 15:09:51 PDT 2011

On 8/26/11 5:40 AM, Michael Rogers wrote:

> If you want to know what's actually standing in the way of a global p2p
> filesystem, try to persuade your technically minded friends to use Tahoe
> (or Freenet, or OceanStore, or CFS, or PAST, or FARSITE) for sharing
> files. Make a note of the problems they run into and solve them all.
> Repeat the process with your less technically minded friends. Once
> you've solved all their problems, open some champagne because you've
> achieved more than a decade's worth of p2p research. ;-)

It would be a shame to solve all the practical problems and only then
discover that your architecture is wrong. :-) That's why I think people
are interested in doing thought experiments first. (OTOH, it's kind of
pointless to discover the right architecture if you'll never have the
resources to implement it right.)

Personally, the TFS paper convinced me to give up on P2P storage until
we get FTTH. http://www.cs.umass.edu/~emery/pubs/TFS.pdf

Wes Felter

----- End forwarded message -----