[Freedombox-discuss] A Simple Server Setup Guide

Bjarni Rznar Einarsson bre at pagekite.net
Tue Aug 23 12:17:21 PDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 12:12 AM, Nick Daly <nick.m.daly at gmail.com> wrote:

> 0: https://bitbucket.org/nickdaly/plugserver/

That's a pretty fantastic document!  I am impressed. :-)

> PS: I'd appreciate if anyone could offer ideas on how to make
> Freedomboxes (or similar servers) reachable over the internet, through
> ISPs that fight *really* hard (through their policies and standard
> hardware) to prevent users from hosting or serving anything.  I'm
> looking for hackier solutions than "change ISPs" because, thanks to the
> monopoly American ISP market, that option's mostly irrelevant.  (Is
> there some sort of DNS alternative out there?)

I created PageKite (www.pagekite.org) to deal with exactly this
problem. It's a bit like "dynamic DNS for mobile devices and people
without public IPs" - it's free (AGPLv3) software, backed by a small
startup company in Iceland which runs the necessary "in the cloud"
public infrastructure for those who don't have servers of their own or
the time to do it themselves.

It does HTTP and HTTPS seamlessly, and SSH with only minor tweaks to
the client config - if you have control over the client almost any
TCP-based protocol can work, but the user-friendliness varies.
Notable omissions compared your needs, is PageKite can't currently
help with e-mail, and Jabber support hasn't been written yet (but is
on the cards if you want to help test I could bump up the priority a
bit).

--
Bjarni R. Einarsson
Founder, lead developer of PageKite.