[cryptography] Smart card with external pinpad

Michael Nelson nelson_mikel at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 23 12:00:09 PDT 2011

J.A. Terranson wrote:

> Old news.  We were doing that in the early "aughts".
Yes, it had a familiar ring to it... I was wondering what the UCSD people
meant as their contribution.  Presumably getting it to work in the ATM
setting.

Same family of attacks as the thin powder or other film over the
keypad.  A friend of mine who worked for the govt, had an rsa "Pwnie-Token",
and he said that after a several years the buttons that he used for the PIN
developed indentations...

> I'm waiting for a pinpad that maintains a

uniform temperature to get around this.

Hard to achieve sufficiently quick
response.  How about the keys have independent heating elements so that they
can be randomized.  And of course there is the distribution of heat across
each key surface...

Mike