[p2p-hackers] A globally distributed peer-to-peer data archive

Tony Arcieri tony.arcieri at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 21:15:53 PDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Taral <taralx at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's a brilliant idea.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mnet_(peer-to-peer_network)#MojoNation

Yeah, I'm familiar with the history of MojoNation and have talked to Zooko
in person about it.

I think MojoNation's model is somewhat overcomplicated and introducing a
virtual currency into the system is probably not the best way to enforce
you-get-what-you-give. I don't think things need to be measured as precisely
as a "Mojo" unit of network participation. Apologies if my comparisons to
Bitcoin made you feel I was implying a virtual currency as a solution.

I'm thinking something more along the lines of a web-of-trust. The block
chain concept from BitCoin is interesting. Perhaps trust can be established
through client-specific signature chain files (as opposed to a global
distributed block chain), with the peer's pubkey as the header, and each
time that peer successfully sends another peer a file, the recipient adds
some metadata about the transfer (e.g. timestamp, transfer rate) to the end
of the file then signs the entire file with their private key.

A single peer's signature chain alone wouldn't tell you much, but if you
apply a collaborative filtering algorithm (e.g. Slope One, Singular Value
Decomposition) to large numbers of these signature chain files, I think it
would be possible to data mine them in order to discover the best peers to
collaborate with.

Perhaps "you get what you give" is the wrong description for what I'm
thinking of. How about "pay it forward?" When one peer asks for some data
from another, or asks to store part of a file, the sender can examine the
recipient's signature chain, possibly comparing it to others, and based on
that decide if it's willing to donate bandwidth or storage in order to help
it out.

--
Tony Arcieri

----- End forwarded message -----