[liberationtech] iPhones/iPads secretly track 'scary amount' of your movements

Rafal Rohozinski r.rohozinski at psiphon.ca
Wed Apr 20 19:51:53 PDT 2011

It's not just iPhones that record vast amount of data that can be easily geo-located and reconstruct  person's movements,  networks, and personal  communication - any cell phone going back 15 years stores  data through log files, message  and SMS traffic that can be reconstructed and retrieved to create pretty comprehensive profiles of usage and location.  Devices that do forensic extraction (UFED) are quite widespread and in use throughout police forces intelligence agencies as well as  most cellular carriers  around the world. For those of you for whom  this is a revelation, I'd advise you to take a look at this website of a leading provider of UFEDs.  There are some interesting videos, and once you're done,  take a look at where this company has  it's permanent representatives.

http://www.cellebrite.com/forensic-products/ufed-physical-pro.html

Time for a reality check. Mobile phones are essentially digital dogtags so if you're concerned about  the ability they have to track your movements and  communications -  do like Osama, use  exclusively off-line means through trusted intermediaries.  Otherwise  accepting that cell phones are  a risk to privacy is just  the flip side of the convenience that these devices bring.  With or without Apple  networks are essentially  spiderwebs    -  that's the essence of modern signals intelligence.

It's worrisome that there are a lot of myths   among the activist community about cell phone security. True, you can "drive up the negatives" and make it  more difficult for a casual actor to scan or  obtain PII  from your  phone ( so I  I agree with Nathan) -  but if you're up against  well resourced opponents, most of these tools  plain ineffective and their very presence on your phone may be more of a giveaway that  actually makes you more  of a a target of interest.   Unfortunately security is not a product or something you can buy shrink-wrapped in code.  Its practice and process  and  ultimately comes down to the risks you're willing to take in the service of an objective  or cause.  And if you want to play in the big tent, it's  good old-fashioned tradecraft and not better toys that make a difference.

Rafal

On Apr 20, 2011, at 5:43 PM, Frank Corrigan wrote:

> I am aware of the general principle of mobile phone tracking, it is just
> that most people assume this data is only accessible via cell tower
> providers or via a court order/lawful request, not recorded on the
> device itself and accessible in an easy to read format to anyone who has
> access and inclination or has impounded it for law enforcement purposes.
> I suppose it's a bit like the Windows IE index.dat files. Now of course
> anyone crossing a USA border can have such devices taken away and such
> location data easily copied for later in-situ analysis.
>
> Frank

Should you need to change your subscription options, please go to:

----- End forwarded message -----