U.S. Wants to Make It Easier to Wiretap the Internet

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 28 18:43:48 PDT 2010

Dunno. I think this assessment is overly pessimistic and, indeed, this very
miguided attempt by FBI to pass unenforceable legislation may indicate why.

I think there may be large and possibly enormous volumes of traffic now
flowing across private-ish P2P networks, many or all of which will be
reasonably darknettish.

Of course, the crypto isn't perfect but I don't get the sense that NSA shares
a lot with FBI, but the sheer volume may be enough to worry the latter....who
knows what's mixed in that traffic? Who knows which of the files are actually
real or which are fake to cover covert transactions and whatnot.

Come to think of it, this may actually be a good scenario: Large volumes of
computationally difficult (but not intractable) encrypted traffic presenting
standard law enforcement with more than they can handle while meanwhile the
NSAs of the world with the resources jealously guarding their capabilities and
secrets, only sharing them in the most extrme of circumstances.

Seems to me a lot could be done inside those P2P networks. In fact, anything
needing very significant security could be hard-encrypted and then injected
and subsequently encrypted again with less secure methods with the rest of the
P2P traffic...this has the advantage of hiding the strength of encryption and
avoiding special notice from the outset.

In other words, "we" may not have won but the filesharers were driven there by
their own inevitable logic.

Or am I overly optimisitc here?

-TD

PS: Variola has been representin' on the issue on the BoingBoing boards.