Thoughts on time vs money. (Money in a closed ecosystem)

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Mon Oct 25 00:59:31 PDT 2010

Interestingly, I have a friend who did a year at antarctica (at a station
roughly 300 miles from McMurdo). Cash moeny isn't even available :-(

Pity.

As for "growth", or "increase in value", these are concepts not totally
out of place in the vaccum of what amounts to self-imposed isolation for
your *own* research goals.  The closest thing to money down there is time,
which is traded much as we trade the tokens of bills and coin.  And time
is fixed in quantity: everyone has the same fraction of the total to start
with, the total cannot grow or shrink, but it can (and does) rise in value
as the distance from the start of the "shift" gets longer.

//Alif

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010, Morlock Elloi wrote:

> Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 21:27:55 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Morlock Elloi <morlockelloi at yahoo.com>
> To: cypherpunks at al-qaeda.net
> Subject: Re: Money in a closed ecosystem
>
> I think that the term "growing" was misunderstood - it refers to a certain floral activity, and I'll bet that there's not export, it's all consumed internally.
>

> > > Growing, however, creates real value that would need to be balanced
> > > with external cash inflow (a very useful indicator of how much is
> > > being grown, BTW.)
> >
> > I disagree. While the total value of the system compared to the external
> > world can indeed grow (and be balanced by an outflow of some saleable
> > resource, either physical or not) the amount of needed in-circulation
> > cash is going to be pretty close to constant, if you can disregard
> > inflation.

//Alif

--
"Never belong to any party, always oppose privileged classes and public
plunderers, never lack sympathy with the poor, always remain devoted to

Joseph Pulitzer, 1907 Speech