U.S. Wants to Make It Easier to Wiretap the Internet

John Case case at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri Oct 15 21:23:34 PDT 2010

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010, Tyler Durden wrote:

> Seems to me a lot could be done inside those P2P networks. In fact, anything
> needing very significant security could be hard-encrypted and then injected
> and subsequently encrypted again with less secure methods with the rest of the
> P2P traffic...this has the advantage of hiding the strength of encryption and
> avoiding special notice from the outset.
>
> In other words, "we" may not have won but the filesharers were driven there by
> their own inevitable logic.
>
> Or am I overly optimisitc here?

Well, the cats out of the bag as far as the math goes.  If you want to
communicate "securely" you can.  The problem is you have to go all the way
over to full black ops mode to do it if key escrow (or whatever) is
finally (re)instated.  No more of this "well my shell connection is over
SSL and I access my dev wiki with HTTPS blah blah ..." - it's all or
nothing now.

And further, there's the whole "structuring" issue.  To be honest, the
"structuring" movement in the prosecutorial world is scarier than key
escrow ... the idea that your "transactions" can incriminate you not based
on their actual content, but on your thoughts or motives at the time
(highly subjective, of course) is very troublesome.

So don't worry about the math - we all know you can securely send it -
it's the structuring (or equivalent) charge after the fact that should be
worrisome.

> PS: Variola has been representin' on the issue on the BoingBoing boards.

URL to these threads on the BB boards ?

Thanks.