Active Attacks - Already in Progress?

Damian Johnson atagar1 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 23:17:12 PST 2010

Hi Theodore.

The reason the operators of the largest tor relays (Blutmagie,
TorServers, and Amunet) operate multiple instance is because this is
the best way in practice for utilizing large connections. Robert and
others are right and you should call people out if they operate
multiple relays without setting the family entry. However, both of the
relays you cite [1][2] not only have their families set, but contact
information too so you're perfectly able to ask them if you have
concerns.

In particular Moritz, the operator of TorServers, both discussed his
plans to get funding for running large relays on this list [3] and
with several of us at PETS. I for one am thilled he's had success with
it!

Lastly, it sounds like you're discussing a Sybil attack. This sort of
threat is the reason I wrote a script for monitoring the consensus and
sending alerts when large additions to the tor network are made. You
are more than welcome to keep an eye on this too by subscibing to the
script's email list [4]. Also, this script has discovered this type of
attack in the past, so your concerns are certainly understandable. For
details see the bit about trotsky on the bad exits wiki [5].

So in short, we are well aware of this sort of attack and your
vigilance would certainly be welcome. However, please try to
investigate relays a bit and contact their operators before worrying
too much about them. Cheers! -Damian

[1] http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/router_detail.php?FP=cf91fba32fdac4c500f3a3565591f144d5074820
[2] http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/router_detail.php?FP=34a46b317dcad4ca52c449d3af3786344ee75054
[3] http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/May-2010/msg00058.html