CRYPTO-GRAM, November 15, 2010

Bruce Schneier schneier at SCHNEIER.COM
Sun Nov 14 21:16:43 PST 2010

                 CRYPTO-GRAM

              November 15, 2010

              by Bruce Schneier
      Chief Security Technology Officer, BT
             schneier at schneier.com
            http://www.schneier.com

A free monthly newsletter providing summaries, analyses, insights, and
commentaries on security: computer and otherwise.

For back issues, or to subscribe, visit
<http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram.html>.

You can read this issue on the web at
<http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram-1011.html>.  These same essays and
news items appear in the "Schneier on Security" blog at
<http://www.schneier.com/blog>, along with a lively comment section.  An
RSS feed is available.

In this issue:
     Crowdsourcing Surveillance
     Internet Quarantines
     News
     Cargo Security
     Changes in Airplane Security
     Young Man in "Old Man" Mask Boards Plane in Hong Kong
     Schneier News
     Kahn, Diffie, Clark, and Me at Bletchley Park
     Changing Passwords

     Crowdsourcing Surveillance

Internet Eyes is a U.K. startup designed to crowdsource digital
surveillance. People pay a small fee to become a "Viewer." Once they do,
they can log onto the site and view live anonymous feeds from surveillance
cameras at retail stores.  If they notice someone shoplifting, they can
alert the store owner. Viewers get rated on their ability to differentiate
real shoplifting from false alarms, can win 1000 pounds if they detect the
most shoplifting in some time interval, and otherwise get paid a wage that
most likely won't cover their initial fee.

Although the system has some nod towards privacy, groups like Privacy
International oppose the system for fostering a culture of citizen spies.
More fundamentally, though, I don't think the system will work. Internet
Eyes is primarily relying on voyeurism to compensate its Viewers. But most
of what goes on in a retail store is incredibly boring. Some of it is
actually voyeuristic, and very little of it is criminal. The incentives
just aren't there for Viewers to do more than peek, and there's no obvious
way to discouraging them from siding with the shoplifter and just watch the
scenario unfold.

This isn't the first time groups have tried to crowdsource surveillance
camera monitoring.  Texas's Virtual Border Patrol tried the same thing:
deputizing the general public to monitor the Texas-Mexico border.  It ran
out of money last year, and was widely criticized as a joke.

This system suffered the same problems as Internet Eyes -- not enough
incentive to do a good job, boredom because crime is the rare exception --
as well as the fact that false alarms were very expensive to deal with.

Both of these systems remind me of the one time this idea was
conceptualized correctly.  Invented in 2003 by my friend and colleague Jay
Walker, US HomeGuard also tried to crowdsource surveillance camera
monitoring. But this system focused on one very specific security concern:
people in no-mans areas. These are areas between fences at nuclear power
plants or oil refineries, border zones, areas around dams and reservoirs,
and so on: areas where there should never be anyone.

The idea is that people would register to become "spotters." They would
get paid a decent wage (that and patriotism was the incentive), receive a
stream of still photos, and be asked a very simple question: "Is there a
person or a vehicle in this picture?"  If a spotter clicked "yes," the
photo -- and the camera -- would be referred to whatever professional
response the camera owner had set up.

HomeGuard would monitor the monitors in two ways. One, by sending stored,
known, photos to people regularly to verify that they were paying
attention. And two, by sending live photos to multiple spotters and
correlating the results, to many more monitors if a spotter claimed to have
spotted a person or vehicle.

Just knowing that there's a person or a vehicle in a no-mans-area is only
the first step in a useful response, and HomeGuard envisioned a bunch of
enhancements to the rest of that system.  Flagged photos could be sent to
the digital phones of patrolling guards, cameras could be controlled
remotely by those guards, and speakers in the cameras could issue warnings.
Remote citizen spotters were only useful for that first step, looking for a
person or a vehicle in a photo that shouldn't contain any. Only real guards
at the site itself could tell an intruder from the occasional maintenance
person.

Of course the system isn't perfect. A would-be infiltrator could sneak
past the spotters by holding a bush in front of him, or disguising himself
as a vending machine.  But it does fill in a gap in what fully automated
systems can do, at least until image processing and artificial
intelligence get significantly better.

HomeGuard never got off the ground. There was never any good data about
whether spotters were more effective than motion sensors as a first level
of defense. But more importantly, Walker says that the politics
surrounding homeland security money post-9/11 was just too great to
penetrate, and that as an outsider he couldn't get his ideas heard. Today,
probably, the patriotic fervor that gripped so many people post-9/11 has
dampened, and he'd probably have to pay his spotters more than he
envisioned seven years ago. Still, I thought it was a clever idea then and
I still think it's a clever idea -- and it's an example of how to do
surveillance crowdsourcing correctly.

Making the system more general runs into all sorts of problems. An amateur
can spot a person or vehicle pretty easily, but is much harder pressed to
notice a shoplifter. The privacy implications of showing random people
pictures of no-man's-lands is minimal, while a busy store is another matter
-- stores have enough individuality to be identifiable, as do people.
Public photo tagging will even allow the process to be automated. And, of
course, the normalization of a spy-on-your-neighbor surveillance society
where it's perfectly reasonable to watch each other on cameras just in case
one of us does something wrong.

This essay first appeared in ThreatPost.

http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/difficulty-surveillance-crowdsourcing-110810
or http://tinyurl.com/36fqhku

Internet Eyes:
http://interneteyes.co.uk/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11460897

Opposition to Internet Eyes:

http://www.disinfo.com/2010/10/internet-eyes-citizen-spy-game-the-new-stasi/
or http://tinyurl.com/2742z66

Virtual Border Patrol:
http://homelandsecuritynewswire.com/texas-virtual-border-patrol-goes-line
or http://tinyurl.com/2fnxzmt

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/26/thousands-sign-up-for-virtual-border-patrol/
or http://tinyurl.com/cqqns3

http://immigrationclearinghouse.org/texas-virtual-border-system-ineffective-a-monumental-joke/
or http://tinyurl.com/ygmr8lb

US HomeGuard:

http://www.csoonline.com/article/218490/us-homeguard-someone-to-watch-over-you
or http://tinyurl.com/2a2b4vh
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.06/start.html?pg=11
http://dissidentvoice.org/Articles6/Berkowitz_US-HomeGuard.htm
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.06/start.html?pg=11

Disguising yourself as a vending machine:

http://laughlines.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/20/fearing-crime-japanese-wear-the-hiding-place/
or http://tinyurl.com/2bpuz8f

     Internet Quarantines

Last month, Scott Charney of Microsoft proposed that infected computers be
quarantined from the Internet. Using a public health model for Internet
security, the idea is that infected computers spreading worms and viruses
are a risk to the greater community and thus need to be isolated. Internet
service providers would administer the quarantine, and would also clean up
and update users' computers so they could rejoin the greater Internet.

This isn't a new idea. Already there are products that test computers
trying to join private networks, and only allow them access if their
security patches are up-to-date and their antivirus software certifies
them as clean. Computers denied access are sometimes shunned to a
limited-capability sub-network where all they can do is download and
install the updates they need to regain access. This sort of system has
been used with great success at universities and end-user-device-friendly
corporate networks. They're happy to let you log in with any device you
want--this is the consumerization trend in action--as long as your security
is up to snuff.

Charney's idea is to do that on a larger scale. To implement it we have to
deal with two problems. There's the technical problem--making the
quarantine work in the face of malware designed to evade it, and the
social problem--ensuring that people don't have their computers unduly
quarantined. Understanding the problems requires us to understand
quarantines in general.

Quarantines have been used to contain disease for millennia. In general
several things need to be true for them to work. One, the thing being
quarantined needs to be easily recognized. It's easier to quarantine a
disease if it has obvious physical characteristics: fever, boils, etc. If
there aren't any obvious physical effects, or if those effects don't show
up while the disease is contagious, a quarantine is much less effective.

Similarly, it's easier to quarantine an infected computer if that
infection is detectable. As Charney points out, his plan is only effective
against worms and viruses that our security products recognize, not against
those that are new and still undetectable.

Two, the separation has to be effective. The leper colonies on Molokai and
Spinalonga both worked because it was hard for the quarantined to leave.
Quarantined medieval cities worked less well because it was too easy to
leave, or--when the diseases spread via rats or mosquitoes--because the
quarantine was targeted at the wrong thing.

Computer quarantines have been generally effective because the users whose
computers are being quarantined aren't sophisticated enough to break out of
the quarantine, and find it easier to update their software and rejoin the
network legitimately.

Three, only a small section of the population must need to be quarantined.
The solution works only if it's a minority of the population that's
affected, either with physical diseases or computer diseases. If most
people are infected, overall infection rates aren't going to be slowed much
by quarantining. Similarly, a quarantine that tries to isolate most of the
Internet simply won't work.

Fourth, the benefits must outweigh the costs. Medical quarantines are
expensive to maintain, especially if people are being quarantined against
their will. Determining who to quarantine is either expensive (if it's done
correctly) or arbitrary, authoritative and abuse-prone (if it's done
badly). It could even be both. The value to society must be worth it.

It's the last point that Charney and others emphasize. If Internet worms
were only damaging to the infected, we wouldn't need a societally imposed
quarantine like this. But they're damaging to everyone else on the
Internet, spreading and infecting others. At the same time, we can
implement systems that quarantine cheaply. The value to society far
outweighs the cost.

That makes sense, but once you move quarantines from isolated private
networks to the general Internet, the nature of the threat changes.
Imagine an intelligent and malicious infectious disease: That's what
malware is. The current crop of malware ignores quarantines; they're few
and far enough between not to affect their effectiveness.

If we tried to implement Internet-wide--or even countrywide--quarantining,
worm-writers would start building in ways to break the quarantine. So
instead of nontechnical users not bothering to break quarantines because
they don't know how, we'd have technically sophisticated virus-writers
trying to break quarantines. Implementing the quarantine at the ISP level
would help, and if the ISP monitored computer behavior, not just specific
virus signatures, it would be somewhat effective even in the face of
evasion tactics. But evasion would be possible, and we'd be stuck in
another computer security arms race. This isn't a reason to dismiss the
proposal outright, but it is something we need to think about when weighing
its potential effectiveness.

Additionally, there's the problem of who gets to decide which computers to
quarantine. It's easy on a corporate or university network: the owners of
the network get to decide. But the Internet doesn't have that sort of
hierarchical control, and denying people access without due process is
fraught with danger. What are the appeal mechanisms? The audit mechanisms?
Charney proposes that ISPs administer the quarantines, but there would have
to be some central authority that decided what degree of infection would be
sufficient to impose the quarantine. Although this is being presented as a
wholly technical solution, it's these social and political ramifications
that are the most difficult to determine and the easiest to abuse.

Once we implement a mechanism for quarantining infected computers, we
create the possibility of quarantining them in all sorts of other
circumstances. Should we quarantine computers that don't have their
patches up to date, even if they're uninfected? Might there be a
legitimate reason for someone to avoid patching his computer? Should the
government be able to quarantine someone for something he said in a chat
room, or a series of search queries he made? I'm sure we don't think it
should, but what if that chat and those queries revolved around terrorism?
Where's the line?

Microsoft would certainly like to quarantine any computers it feels are
not running legal copies of its operating system or applications software.
The music and movie industry will want to quarantine anyone it decides is
downloading or sharing pirated media files--they're already pushing similar
proposals.

A security measure designed to keep malicious worms from spreading over
the Internet can quickly become an enforcement tool for corporate business
models. Charney addresses the need to limit this kind of function creep,
but I don't think it will be easy to prevent; it's an enforcement mechanism
just begging to be used.

Once you start thinking about implementation of quarantine, all sorts of
other social issues emerge. What do we do about people who need the
Internet? Maybe VoIP is their only phone service. Maybe they have an
Internet-enabled medical device. Maybe their business requires the
Internet to run. The effects of quarantining these people would be
considerable, even potentially life-threatening. Again, where's the line?

What do we do if people feel they are quarantined unjustly? Or if they are
using nonstandard software unfamiliar to the ISP? Is there an appeals
process? Who administers it? Surely not a for-profit company.

Public health is the right way to look at this problem. This
conversation--between the rights of the individual and the rights of
society--is a valid one to have, and this solution is a good possibility
to consider.

There are some applicable parallels. We require drivers to be licensed and
cars to be inspected not because we worry about the danger of unlicensed
drivers and uninspected cars to themselves, but because we worry about
their danger to other drivers and pedestrians. The small number of parents
who don't vaccinate their kids have already caused minor outbreaks of
whooping cough and measles among the greater population. We all suffer when
someone on the Internet allows his computer to get infected. How we balance
that with individuals' rights to maintain their own computers as they see
fit is a discussion we need to start having.

This essay previously appeared on Forbes.com.
http://www.forbes.com/2010/11/10/microsoft-viruses-security-technology-quarantine.html

Charney's proposal:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_on_the_issues/archive/2010/10/05/the-need-for-global-collective-defense-on-the-internet.aspx
or http://tinyurl.com/3axouht

http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/news/technology-11483008/ext/_auto/-/http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9746317
or http://tinyurl.com/2cned49
http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10462649-245.html

Proposals to cut off file sharers:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7240234.stm

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/9114/france_to_ban_illegal_filesharers_from_the_internet/
or http://tinyurl.com/24x9pv6

     News

Researchers are working on a way to fingerprint telephone calls.  The
system can be used to differentiate telephone calls from your bank from
telephone calls from someone in Nigeria pretending to be from your bank.
Unless your bank is outsourcing its customer support to Nigeria, of
course.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/10/06/voice_fingerprints/
http://www.gatech.edu/newsroom/release.html?nid=61428

Former Denver Broncos quarterback on hiding in plain sight.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1175387/4/index.htm
or http://tinyurl.com/39arogx

Was the software used in the Predator drones pirated?
http://www.fastcompany.com/1695219/cia-predator-drones-facing-ip-lawsuit
or http://tinyurl.com/27u6tfg
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/24/cia_netezza/
The obvious joke is that this is what you get when you go with the low
bidder, but it doesn't have to be that way.  And there's nothing special
about this being a government procurement; any bespoke IT procurement
needs good contractual oversight.

I am the program chair for the next Workshop on the Economics of
Information Security, WEIS 2011, which is to be held next June in
Washington, DC. Submissions are due at the end of February.  Please
forward and repost the call for papers.
http://weis2011.econinfosec.org/
http://weis2011.econinfosec.org/cfpart.html

Electronic Car lock denial-of-service attack
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2010/10/electronic_car.html

Security hole in FaceTime for Mac.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/10/facetime-for-mac-opens-giant-apple-id-security-hole.ars
or http://tinyurl.com/3875gqo
It's been fixed.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/10/22/embarrassing.vulnerability.patched.pronto/
or http://tinyurl.com/37oav68

Here's a long list of declassified NSA documents.  These items are not
online; they're at the National Archives and Records Administration in
College Park, MD.  You can either ask for copies by mail under FOIA (at a
75 cents per page) or come in person.  There, you can read and scan them
for free, or photocopy them for about 20 cents a page.
http://www.nsa.gov/public_info/declass/entries.shtml

Seymour Hersh on cyberwar, from The New Yorker.
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/11/01/101101fa_fact_hersh

Firesheep is a new Firefox plugin that makes it easy for you to hijack
other people's social network connections.  Basically, Facebook
authenticates clients with cookies.  If someone is using a public WiFi
connection, the cookies are sniffable.  Firesheep uses wincap to capture
and display the authentication information for accounts it sees, allowing
you to hijack the connection.  To protect against this attack, you have to
encrypt your entire session under TLS -- not just the initial
authentication.  Or stop logging in to Facebook from public networks.
http://codebutler.github.com/firesheep/
http://codebutler.github.com/firesheep/tc12
http://techcrunch.com/2010/10/25/firesheep/

http://windowssecrets.com/2010/11/04/01-Cloak-your-connection-to-foil-Firesheep-snoopers/#story1
or http://tinyurl.com/2d29sxv

http://www.shortestpathfirst.net/2010/10/29/sidejacking-fun-with-firesheep/
or http://tinyurl.com/2exo5ma

Old -- but recently released -- document discussing the bugging of the
Russian embassy in 1940.  The document also mentions bugging the embassies
of France, Germany, Italy, and Japan.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/39557615/FBI-File-65-HQ-30092-Details-Bugging-of-Embassies-in-1940-Section-1
or http://tinyurl.com/23ybh6t

New Orleans is scrapping its surveillance cameras because they're not
worth it.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2010/10/new_orleans_crime_camera_progr.html
or http://tinyurl.com/247fjou
http://topics.nola.com/tag/crime%20cameras/index.html

Good blog post on the militarization of the Internet.
http://scrawford.net/blog/the-militarization-of-the-internet/1409/

Halloween and the irrational fear of stranger danger:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304915104575572642896563902.html
or http://tinyurl.com/2e5e72p
Also this:

http://www.theatlantic.com/food/archive/2010/10/the-meaning-of-halloween-candy-psychopath-stories/65281/
or http://tinyurl.com/2djl68x
Wondermark comments:
http://wondermark.com/567/

This is an interesting paper about control fraud.  It's by William K.
Black, the Executive Director of the Institute for Fraud Prevention.
"Individual 'control frauds' cause greater losses than all other forms of
property crime combined. They are financial super-predators."  Black is
talking about control fraud by both heads of corporations and heads of
state, so that's almost certainly a true statement.  His main point,
though, is that our legal systems don't do enough to discourage control
fraud.
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2010/11/control_fraud.html

Dan Geer on "Cybersecurity and National Policy."
http://www.harvardnsj.com/2010/04/cybersecurity-and-national-policy/

Last month the police arrested Farooque Ahmed for plotting a terrorist
attack on the D.C. Metro system.  However, it's not clear how much of the
plot was his idea and how much was the idea of some paid FBI informants.

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2010/10/28/ahmed_farooque_dc_metro/index.html
or http://tinyurl.com/2ebw7zy
Of course, the police are now using this fake bomb plot to justify random
bag searching in the Metro.
http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=25&sid=2097181
It's a dumb idea:
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/07/searching_bags.html
This is the problem with thoughtcrime.  Entrapment is much too easy.
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2010/09/terrorism_entra.html
Much the same thing was written in The Economist blog.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2010/10/war_commuters or
http://tinyurl.com/257wvow

The business of botnets can be lucrative.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/102910-russian-armenian-botnet-suspect-raked-in.html
or http://tinyurl.com/2fmvh3r
Paper on the market price of bots:
http://www.icsi.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/pubs/publication.pl?ID=002289

Good article on security options for the Washington Monument.  I like the
suggestion of closing it until we're ready to accept that there is always
risk.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/07/AR2010110704572.html
or http://tinyurl.com/26olp6y
More information on the decision process:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/09/AR2010110906739.html
or http://tinyurl.com/2v6u57s

"A Social Network Approach to Understanding an Insurgency"
http://www.netscience.usma.edu/publications/SNA%20COIN.pdf

"Bulletproof" service providers: ISPs who are immune from takedown notices
and offer services to illegitimate website providers.
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2010/11/body-armor-for-bad-web-sites/

Camouflaging test cars from competitors and the press:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/07/automobiles/07CAMO.html

Long article on convicted hacker Albert Gonzalez from The New York Times
Magazine.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/magazine/14Hacker-t.html?emc=eta1

     Cargo Security

The New York Times writes: "Despite the increased scrutiny of people and
luggage on passenger planes since 9/11, there are far fewer safeguards for
packages and bundles, particularly when loaded on cargo-only planes."

Well, of course.  We've always known this.  We've not worried about
terrorism on cargo planes because it isn't very terrorizing.  Packages
aren't people.  If a passenger plane blows up, it affects a couple of
hundred people.  If a cargo plane blows up, it just affects the crew.

Cargo that is loaded on to passenger planes should be subjected to the
same level of security as passenger luggage.  Cargo that is loaded onto
cargo planes should be treated  no differently from cargo loaded into
ships, trains, trucks, and the trunks of cars.

Of course: now that the media is talking about cargo security, we have to
"do something."  (Something must be done.  This is something. Therefore, we
must do it.)  But if we're so scared that we have to devote resources to
this kind of terrorist threat, we've well and truly lost.

Also note: the plot -- it's still unclear how serious it was -- wasn't
uncovered by any security screening, but by intelligence gathering.  The
Washington Post writes: "Intelligence officials were onto the suspected
plot for days, officials said. The packages in England and Dubai were
discovered after Saudi Arabian intelligence picked up information related
to Yemen and passed it on to the U.S., two officials said."

This is how you fight through terrorism: not by defending against specific
threats, but through intelligence, investigation, and emergency response.

New York Times article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/30/us/30cargo.html

Washington Post article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/30/AR2010103000792_2.html
or http://tinyurl.com/2dp3cyd

My essay on intelligence, investigation, and emergency response:
http://www.schneier.com/essay-292.html

     Changes in Airplane Security

1.  The TSA is banning toner cartridges over 16 ounces, because that's
what the Yemeni bombers used.  There's some impressive magical thinking
going on here.

2.  Because people need to remove their belts before going into full-body
scanners, the TSA is making us remove our belts even when we're not going
through full-body scanners.  European airports have made us remove our
belts for years.  My normal tactic is to pull my shirt tails out of my
pants and over my belt.  Then I flash my waist and tell them I'm not
wearing a belt.  It doesn't set off the metal detector, so they don't
notice.

3.  Now the terrorists have really affected me personally: they're forcing
us to turn off airplane WiFi.  No, it's not that the Yemeni package bombs
had a WiFi triggering mechanism -- they seem to have had a cell phone
triggering mechanism, dubious at best -- but we can *imagine* an
Internet-based triggering mechanism.  Put together a sloppy and
unsuccessful package bomb with an imagined triggering mechanism, and you
have a *new and dangerous threat* that -- even though it was a threat ever
since the first airplane got WiFi capability -- must be immediately dealt
with right now.

Please, let's not ever tell the TSA about timers.  Or altimeters.

Belts:

http://www.salon.com/technology/ask_the_pilot/2010/11/04/belt_removal_at_security_checkpoint/index.html
or http://tinyurl.com/323a3vy

Toner cartridges:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40072889/ns/us_news-airliner_security/

In-flight WiFi:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn19665

http://gizmodo.com/5679794/all-these-terrorist-scares-are-putting-in+flight-wi+fi-at-risk
or http://tinyurl.com/39okdxx

Using a cell phone to detonate a plane bomb:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/11/could-a-cell-phone-call-from-yemen-blow-up-a-plane/
or http://tinyurl.com/2d3o3x8

While we're talking about the TSA, be sure to opt out of the full-body
scanners.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2010/10/for-the-first-time-the-tsa-meets-resistance/65390/
or http://tinyurl.com/28e2353

And remember your sense of humor when a TSA officer slips white powder
into your suitcase and then threatens you with arrest.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/stupid/memos-detail-tsa-officers-cocaine-pranks
or http://tinyurl.com/24vkcs4

     Young Man in "Old Man" Mask Boards Plane in Hong Kong

It's kind of an amazing story. A young Asian man used a rubber mask to
disguise himself as an old Caucasian man and, with a passport photo that
matched his disguise, got through all customs and airport security checks
and onto a plane to Canada.

The fact that this sort of thing happens occasionally doesn't surprise me.
It's human nature that we miss this sort of thing.  I wrote about it in
Beyond Fear (pages 153-4):

    No matter how much training they get, airport screeners routinely
    miss guns and knives packed in carry-on luggage. In part, that's
    the result of human beings having developed the evolutionary
    survival skill of pattern matching: the ability to pick out
    patterns from masses of random visual data. Is that a ripe fruit
    on that tree? Is that a lion stalking quietly through the grass?
    We are so good at this that we see patterns in anything, even if
    they're not really there: faces in inkblots, images in clouds, and
    trends in graphs of random data. Generating false positives helped
    us stay alive; maybe that wasn't a lion that your ancestor saw,
    but it was better to be safe than sorry. Unfortunately, that
    survival skill also has a failure mode. As talented as we are at
    detecting patterns in random data, we are equally terrible at
    detecting exceptions in uniform data. The quality-control
    inspector at Spacely Sprockets, staring at a production line
    filled with identical sprockets looking for the one that is
    different, can't do it. The brain quickly concludes that all the
    sprockets are the same, so there's no point paying attention. Each
    new sprocket confirms the pattern. By the time an anomalous
    sprocket rolls off the assembly line, the brain simply doesn't
    notice it. This psychological problem has been identified in
    inspectors of all kinds; people can't remain alert to rare events,
    so they slip by.

A customs officer spends hours looking at people and comparing their faces
with their passport photos.  They do it on autopilot.  Will they catch
someone in a rubber mask that looks like their passport photo? Probably,
but certainly not all the time.

And yes, this is a security risk, but it's not a big one.  Because while
-- occasionally -- a gun can slip through a metal detector or a masked man
can slip through customs, it doesn't happen reliably.  So the bad guys
can't build a plot around it.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/11/04/canada.disguised.passenger/index.html
or http://tinyurl.com/36pr2mw
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/11/04/disguise.artist.pdf

Commentary from my blog about what actually happened:
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2010/11/young_man_in_ol.html#c476017
or http://tinyurl.com/29o8e7d

Beyond Fear:
http://www.schneier.com/book-beyondfear.html

     Schneier News

I'm speaking at the 11th Annual Security Conference & Exhibition in
Washington DC on Nov 16.

http://events.1105govinfo.com/events/security-conference-exhibition-2010/home.aspx
or http://tinyurl.com/2evr36q

I'm speaking at Paranoia 2010 in Oslo on Nov 23.
http://paranoia.watchcom.no/

I'm speaking at ClubHack 2010 in Pune, India on Dec 4.
http://clubhack.com/2010/

My TED talk.  Okay, it's not TED.  It's one of the independent regional
TED events: TEDxPSU.  My talk was "Reconceptualizing Security," a
condensation of the hour-long talk into 18 minutes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGd_M_CpeDI

I was interviewed last week at RSA Europe.

https://365.rsaconference.com/community/connect/blog/2010/10/13/rsa-conference-europe-hugh-thompson-and-bruce-schneier
or http://tinyurl.com/3xsjbv9

     Kahn, Diffie, Clark, and Me at Bletchley Park

Last Saturday, I visited Bletchley Park to speak at the Annual ACCU
Security Fundraising Conference.  They had a stellar line of speakers this
year, and I was pleased to be a part of the day.

Talk #1: "The Art of Forensic Warfare," Andy Clark.  Riffing on Sun Tzu's
"The Art of War," Clark discussed the war -- the back and forth -- between
cyber attackers and cyber forensics.  This isn't to say that we're at war,
but today's attacker tactics are increasingly sophisticated and warlike.
Additionally, the pace is greater, the scale of impact is greater, and the
subjects of attack are broader.  To defend ourselves, we need to be equally
sophisticated and -- possibly -- more warlike.

Clark drew parallels from some of the chapters of Sun Tzu's book combined
with examples of the work at Bletchley Park.  Laying plans: when faced with
an attacker -- especially one of unknown capabilities, tactics, and motives
-- it's important to both plan ahead and plan for the unexpected.  Attack
by stratagem: increasingly, attackers are employing complex and long-term
strategies; defenders need to do the same.  Energy: attacks increasingly
start off simple and get more complex over time; while it's easier to
defect primary attacks, secondary techniques tend to be more subtle and
harder to detect. Terrain: modern attacks take place across a very broad
range of terrain, including hardware, OSs, networks, communication
protocols, and applications.  The business environment under attack is
another example of terrain, equally complex.  The use of spies: not only
human spies, but also keyloggers and other embedded eavesdropping malware.
There's a great World War II double-agent story about Eddie Chapman,
codenamed ZIGZAG.

Talk #2: "How the Allies Suppressed the Second Greatest Secret of World
War II," David Kahn.  This talk is from Kahn's article of the same name,
published in the Oct 2010 issue of "The Journal of Military History." The
greatest secret of World War II was the atom bomb; the second greatest
secret was that the Allies were reading the German codes.  But while there
was a lot of public information in the years after World War II about
Japanese codebreaking and its value, there was almost nothing about German
codebreaking.  Kahn discussed how this information was suppressed, and how
historians writing World War II histories never figured it out.  No one
imagined as large and complex an operation  as Bletchley Park; it was the
first time in history that something like this had ever happened.  Most of
Kahn's time was spent in a very interesting Q&A about the history of
Bletchley Park and World War II codebreaking.

Talk #3: "DNSSec, A System for Improving Security of the Internet Domain
Name System," Whitfield Diffie.   Whit talked about three watersheds in
modern communications security.  The first was the invention of the radio.
Pre-radio, the most common communications security device was the code
book.  This was no longer enough when radio caused the amount of
communications to explode.  In response, inventors took the research in
Vigenhre ciphers and automated them.  This automation led to an explosion
of designs and an enormous increase in complexity -- and the rise of modern
cryptography.

The second watershed was shared computing.  Before the 1960s, the security
of computers was the physical security of computer rooms. Timesharing
changed that.  The result was computer security, a much harder problem than
cryptography.  Computer security is primarily the problem of writing good
code.  But writing good code is hard and expensive, so functional computer
security is primarily the problem of dealing with code that isn't good.
Networking -- and the Internet -- isn't just an expansion of computing
capacity.  The real difference is how cheap it is to set up communications
connections.  Setting up these connections requires naming: both IP
addresses and domain names. Security, of course, is essential for this all
to work; DNSSec is a critical part of that.

The third watershed is cloud computing, or whatever you want to call the
general trend of outsourcing computation.  Google is a good example. Every
organization uses Google search all the time, which probably makes it the
most valuable intelligence stream on the planet.  How can you protect
yourself?  You can't, just as you can't whenever you hand over your data
for storage or processing -- you just have to trust your outsourcer.  There
are two solutions.  The first is legal: an enforceable contract that
protects you and your data.  The second is technical, but mostly
theoretical: homomorphic encryption that allows you to outsource
computation of data without having to trust that outsourcer.

Diffie's final point is that we're entering an era of unprecedented
surveillance possibilities.  It doesn't matter if people encrypt their
communications, or if they encrypt their data in storage.  As long as they
have to give their data to other people for processing, it will be
possible to eavesdrop on.  Of course the methods will change, but the
result will be an enormous trove of information about everybody.

Talk #4: "Reconceptualizing Security," me.  It was similar to previous
essays and talks.

Annual ACCU Security Fundraising Conference:

http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/calendar/event_detail.rhtm?cat=special&recID=618139
or http://tinyurl.com/25pge74

Bletchley Park:
http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/content/museum.rhtm

News coverage:

http://blogs.wsj.com/tech-europe/2010/11/06/bletchley-park-hosts-cryptographic-greats/
or http://tinyurl.com/2cltt7h

The Art of War:
http://www.chinapage.com/sunzi-e.html

Eddie Chapman book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0307353419/counterpane/

The Journal of Military History:
http://www.smh-hq.org/jmh/jmhvols/contents.html

Essay and video similar to my talk:
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/04/the_feeling_and_1.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGd_M_CpeDI

     Changing Passwords

How often should you change your password? I get asked that question a
lot, usually by people annoyed at their employer's or bank's password
expiration policy: people who finally memorized their current password and
are realizing they'll have to write down their new password. How could that
possibly be more secure, they want to know.

The answer depends on what the password is used for.

The downside of changing passwords is that it makes them harder to
remember. And if you force people to change their passwords regularly,
they're more likely to choose easy-to-remember -- and easy-to-guess --
passwords than they are if they can use the same passwords for many years.
So any password-changing policy needs to be chosen with that consideration
in mind.

The primary reason to give an authentication credential -- not just a
password, but any authentication credential -- an expiration date is to
limit the amount of time a lost, stolen, or forged credential can be used
by someone else. If a membership card expires after a year, then if
someone steals that card he can at most get a year's worth of benefit out
of it. After that, it's useless.

This becomes less important when the credential contains a biometric --
even a photograph -- or is verified online. It's much less important for a
credit card or passport to have an expiration date, now that they're not so
much bearer documents as just pointers to a database. If, for example, the
credit card database knows when a card is no longer valid, there's no
reason to put an expiration date on the card. But the expiration date does
mean that a forgery is only good for a limited length of time.

Passwords are no different. If a hacker gets your password either by
guessing or stealing it, he can access your network as long as your
password is valid. If you have to update your password every quarter, that
significantly limits the utility of that password to the attacker.

At least, that's the traditional theory. It assumes a passive attacker,
one who will eavesdrop over time without alerting you that he's there. In
many cases today, though, that assumption no longer holds. An attacker who
gets the password to your bank account by guessing or stealing it isn't
going to eavesdrop. He's going to transfer money out of your account -- and
then you're going to notice. In this case, it doesn't make a lot of sense
to change your password regularly -- but it's vital to change it
immediately after the fraud occurs.

Someone committing espionage in a private network is more likely to be
stealthy. But he's also not likely to rely on the user credential he
guessed and stole; he's going to install backdoor access or create his own
account. Here again, forcing network users to regularly change their
passwords is less important than forcing everyone to change their
passwords immediately after the spy is detected and removed -- you don't
want him getting in again.

Social networking sites are somewhere in the middle. Most of the criminal
attacks against Facebook users use the accounts for fraud. "Help! I'm in
London and my wallet was stolen. Please wire money to this account. Thank
you." Changing passwords periodically doesn't help against this attack,
although -- of course -- change your password as soon as you regain control
of your account. But if your kid sister has your password -- or the tabloid
press, if you're that kind of celebrity -- they're going to listen in until
you change it. And you might not find out about it for months.

So in general: you don't need to regularly change the password to your
computer or online financial accounts (including the accounts at retail
sites); definitely not for low-security accounts. You should change your
corporate login password occasionally, and you need to take a good hard
look at your friends, relatives, and paparazzi before deciding how often
to change your Facebook password. But if you break up with someone you've
shared a computer with, change them all.

Two final points. One, this advice is for login passwords. There's no
reason to change any password that is a key to an encrypted file. Just
keep the same password as long as you keep the file, unless you suspect
it's been compromised. And two, it's far more important to choose a good
password for the sites that matter -- don't worry about sites you don't
care about that nonetheless demand that you register and choose a password
-- in the first place than it is to change it. So if you have to worry
about something, worry about that. And write your passwords down, or use a
program like Password Safe.

This essay originally appeared on DarkReading.com.
http://www.darkreading.com/blog/archives/2010/11/passwordchangin.html

Choosing good passwords:
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/01/choosing_secure.html

Password Safe:
http://www.schneier.com/passsafe.html

Mircosoft Research says the same thing:

"The Security of Modern Password Expiration: An Algorithmic Framework and
Empirical Analysis."
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~yinqian/papers/PasswordExpire.pdf

Since 1998, CRYPTO-GRAM has been a free monthly newsletter providing
summaries, analyses, insights, and commentaries on security: computer and
otherwise.  You can subscribe, unsubscribe, or change your address on the
Web at <http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram.html>.  Back issues are also
available at that URL.

Please feel free to forward CRYPTO-GRAM, in whole or in part, to
colleagues and friends who will find it valuable.  Permission is also
granted to reprint CRYPTO-GRAM, as long as it is reprinted in its entirety.

CRYPTO-GRAM is written by Bruce Schneier.  Schneier is the author of the
best sellers "Schneier on Security," "Beyond Fear," "Secrets and Lies,"
and "Applied Cryptography," and an inventor of the Blowfish, Twofish,
Threefish, Helix, Phelix, and Skein algorithms.  He is the Chief Security
Technology Officer of BT BCSG, and is on the Board of Directors of the
Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC).  He is a frequent writer and
lecturer on security topics.  See <http://www.schneier.com>.

Crypto-Gram is a personal newsletter.  Opinions expressed are not
necessarily those of BT.

Copyright (c) 2010 by Bruce Schneier.

----- End forwarded message -----