Fwd: [ PRIVACY Forum ] Surveillance via bogus SSL certificates

Sarad AV jtrjtrjtr2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 30 00:03:28 PDT 2010

Hello,

thank you. there was a small typo in the link you posted. it is

http://web.monkeysphere.info/

some questions.

Monkey sphere says:
Everyone who has used a web browser has been interrupted by the "Are you sure
you want to connect?" warning message, which occurs when the browser finds the
site's certificate unacceptable. But web browser vendors (e.g. Microsoft or
Mozilla) should not be responsible for determining whom (or what) the user
trusts to certify the authenticity of a website, or the identity of another
user online. The user herself should have the final say, and designation of
trust should be done on the basis of human interaction. The Monkeysphere
project aims to make that possibility a reality.

will try this out. in the meantime other questions related to browser
certificates

1. How do we know which CA's (root/intermediate) have certified a domain
xyz.com?

2. How do we know the CA trust chain. i.e. who all are the root CA's and who
are the intermediate CA's and which root CA is associated with a given
intermediate CA?

3. Can we make the browser notify us if a domain was certified by an
intermediate CA?

4. Say domain xyz.com is certified by CA 'A' and CA 'B' whose
(root/intermediate) certificates are available in the browser. if i find CA
'B' to be malicious how can i get domain xyz.com certified by CA 'A'?

Thank you,
Sarad.