[p2p-hackers] Alpha testers needed

Will Morton macavity at well.com
Thu Jun 17 05:40:26 PDT 2010

On 17 June 2010 04:06, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn <zookog at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow -- music sharing network with integrated Chaumian ecash (the
> "lucre" implementation thereof). I don't know what to think. Are you
> familiar with the history of Mojo Nation?

Yes, broadly... I've played around with Mnet a bit, though I'm not
sure where Mojo Nation ends and Mnet begins.  Thanks to iang for the
article, I hadn't seen that one before.  I knew that Bram Cohen was
part of EGBT, but interesting to see that BitTorrent was an explicit
paring-down of Mojo Nation.

The main difference I suppose is that robonobo uses the currency to
achieve streaming performance rather than just fairness (though it
does that too).  We divide leechers into two groups, those who want
the stream in real time and those who are downloading it for later.
All nodes auction off their bandwidth, and real-timers bid more than
download-laters; the bid ratios are set up so that the network
protocol resolves to TCP for real-timers and TCP-LP [1] for
download-laters.  Our aim is to achieve an 'instant play' experience
in an uncontrolled (and open source) p2p network.

All this bidding is done completely transparently to the user - we
infer whether a stream is real-time or download-later from what the
user is doing with the UI.  The user just sees an account balance that
goes up and down.  Bidding paramaters are tweakable in config files,
and we also allow users to plug-in their own auction strategy (the
default one is probably very naive).

I know that Mnet does some performance-related stuff, in that chunks
are uploaded in highest-bid-first order, but during my (admittedly
limited) playing around this didn't seem able to give differential
rates while maximising available bandwidth.

While you're here, Zooko, a MN question (perhaps a memory test :-) -
my understanding is that in a MN network, an uploading node sends data
until a threshold is reached, at which point it demands a Mojo token
transfer.  How does the protocol deal with a node downloading data up
to the threshold, then disconnecting, and repeating this process with
other nodes, hence downloading without ever paying anything?  I ask
because I'm currently implementing an escrow system within robonobo to
deal with this attack.

[1] http://www.ece.rice.edu/networks/TCP-LP/

----- End forwarded message -----