robonobo needs alpha testers

Will Morton macavity at well.com
Mon Jun 14 10:58:29 PDT 2010

Hello cypherpunks;

I've been working on a project that I hope will be of interest to some
on this list.  It has now reached an alpha stage and I could really
use some testers.

The project is called robonobo.  It's a music network built on a
networking layer that uses digital cash to achieve fairness and high
performance, which translates into reliably being able to stream
enough data to be able to play tracks in real time even though the
underlying network is p2p.

I am using lucre as my underlying digital cash system.  This isn't
just used as an anti-freeloader measure; nodes constantly auction off
their bandwidth, and the network uses a variant of TCP-LP to give more
bandwidth to higher bidders, allowing real-time streaming in a p2p
environment.

The app should work reasonably well, though it is still very much in
an alpha state.  It is designed to be highly scalable, but some parts
of the network are not yet finished and so have unscalable shims
holding things together.  For this reason it's invite-only at the
moment, though the source is fully available should anyone want to
poke about at it.

The project page is here:
http://developer.berlios.de/projects/robonobo and an overview for
developers is here:
http://openfacts2.berlios.de/wikien/index.php/BerliosProject:Robonobo

If anyone is interested in taking a look, please register at
http://robonobo.com - alternatively, drop me a line and I'll send you
an invite.

Please forward this to any individuals or lists you think might be interested.

Cheers

Will