US Seeks Access to More Internet Data Without Court Order

Jon Cosby jon at jcosby.com
Thu Jul 29 10:01:48 PDT 2010

"The Washington Post reports that the Obama administration is seeking to
make it easier for the FBI to obtain internet records of users without a
court order. If Congress approves the plan, the FBI would be able to
secretly issue a National Security Letter to an internet provider and
obtain who users send email to, the times and dates of e-mails sent and
received, and possibly a log of every website visited. Kevin Bankston of
the Electronic Frontier Foundation said, "Our biggest concern is that an
expanded [National Security Letter] power might be used to obtain Internet
search queries and Web histories detailing every Web site visited and every
file downloaded.""

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/29/headlines#2

This makes me wonder, what information could an ISP provide about Internet
activity through Tor? My provider is more trustworthy than most, but this
would give me cause for concern.

----- End forwarded message -----