Intel to also add RNG

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jul 13 22:04:31 PDT 2010

coderman <coderman at gmail.com> writes:
>On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 5:48 PM,  <dahonig at cox.net> wrote:
>> Obviously there are costs associated with a HW RNG as someone enumerated.
>
>uh, what? you realize you're comparing a very noisy but very very small
>entity against the remaining core of a modern many hundred million gate
>processor right?

A very small entity that (in its analog form) requires custom manufacturing
steps, is affected by every minor change to the material, the process, die
shrinks, you name it, and that most customers don't even know exists.  So you
need to rework, re-evaluate, and re-test it every time anything changes, and
your customer won't pay extra for it.

If you're Intel mgt I can't see this as being a very hard decision...

Peter.