[silk] Virtual prisons: how e-maps are curtailing our freedom

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 12:09:05 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> In 2010, however, restrictive cartography is on the verge of more
> invasive applications as electronic technology replaces graphic lines
> requiring conscious interpretation with invisible fences, erected by
> proactive, self-enforcing geographical restrictions.
>
> The most impressive examples, and the most frightening, reflect the
> integration of geographical information systems (GIS), the Global
> Positioning System (GPS), and wireless telecommunications. A tracking
> device can instantly report its location to a GIS that determines
> whether the person, car or ship under surveillance has entered a
> prohibited area.

*yawn*

these devices and services are voluntary. it takes me <0.5 seconds to
disable radios and leave the Wireless-GIS-BigBrother-Grid.

they sell Faraday bags for the paranoid.

low cost, high fidelity spectrum analysis can be had by any for their
own due diligence.

perhaps of more concern is the widespread apathy regarding the degree
and depth of privacy erosion by these technologies... my technical
mitigations are doing just fine, thanks.