Mixminion

Ted Smith teddks at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 12:04:38 PST 2010

On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 12:11 +0000, Peter Thoenen wrote:
> > Since the project appears not to have a mailing list of their own, so
> > I figured I may as well ask here
>
> It was effectively killed (or put into hiatus) when Roger Dingledine
> hired Nick Mathewson to work full time for him on tor a couple years
> ago.  Mixminion was effectively Nick and Roger's baby.  Roger jumped
> first to pursue Tor full time and then brought Nick over later.  Since
> then nobody had picked up the torch.
>
> I spoke with Roger about this a couple years ago at Defcon and his take
> was basically he could do more good (and arguably has) with Tor than he
> ever could with Mixminion given the steep entry curve for normal users
> to Mixminion, the indifference of the layperson to anonymous email given
> the growing Web 2.0 post-email web forums and blogs, and a greater need
> for anonymous surfing, posting, and tcp streams than email.

That's a shame. There're certainly a lot of email users, even of the
younger generations. In particular, email lists are used *quite*
frequently by political activists (in my area, at least) -- I've wanted
to include an email anonymity network on an Ubuntu remix for a while for
this reason, but haven't yet, since Mixmaster seems obsolete and
Mixminion's debian package seems to have unfixed security bugs. I admit
I haven't done a great deal of research into this, so I might be
mistaken.

It's also my understanding that Mixminion is more tailored to email and
thus more secure than POP/SMTP over Tor could be. Is that the case?
Should I care that Mixminion is dead? Would it be a waste of time to
write a setup tutorial for it, or integrate it with Thunderbird or
Evolution?