[p2p-hackers] TCP library - Was: p2p-hackers Digest, Vol 51, Issue 8

Sebastien Martini seb at dbzteam.org
Wed Dec 29 13:19:33 PST 2010

Hi guys,

Seems to be a new development in this area: CryptoCP by Daniel
Bernstein, see the relevant portions at 41''30 and 59''45 of his
recent talk http://27c3.iphoneblog.de/recordings/4295.html (don't know
how to watch the video from there though, I downloaded the talk this
morning from another site but the link is down right now).

While he didn't discuss much CryptoCP per se, if I had to make a
_guess_ from what he said it would be a mix of TCP in userspace with
authenticated encryption provided by his software NaCl
http://nacl.cace-project.eu/box.html . NaCl actually implements
cryptographic primitives mainly based on his own crypto primitives
such as Salsa family and Poly1305 but he has also hinted what could be
some sort of equivalent with "standard" primitives (see previous link,
bottom of the page). So a common use case, on the client side
applications would proxify their network requests through CryptoCP
which would encrypt them, simulate TCP and send UDP packets to the
destination server. Notice that in this case it would be quite similar
to what libjingle is currently implementing: OpenSSL can be used to
SSL_write and SSL_read to/from a userspace TCP stream.

----- End forwarded message -----