[p2p-hackers] Whistle-blower site platform design

Michael Rogers m-- at gmx.com
Wed Dec 22 13:56:35 PST 2010

Hi Len,

Maybe one question we should consider is whether a leaks clearinghouse
needs to look like a website at all. From the little I've read about
OpenLeaks - and if anyone knows better, please correct me - it sounds
like they're not planning to publish documents, as WikiLeaks does;
rather, they're planning to build some kind of infrastructure for
whistleblowers to communicate anonymously with journalists, to negotiate
time-limited exclusive access to documents in return for help with
preparing and publishing them.

If we consider that kind of model rather than robust hosting, I guess
the issues would include:

* How do whistleblowers and journalists securely obtain the client software?
* What kind of architecture does the anonymising network have? Can it be
monitored end-to-end? Can it be DoSed?
* Who contributes resources to the network? Do they need to be
trustworthy, or can it be an open system?
* Can attackers fill the system with fake whistleblowers to make it
annoying for journalists to use?
* Can attackers fill the system with fake journalists to make it
annoying/dangerous for whistleblowers to use?
* What's the legal status of such a system? Can it enjoy the protections
given to journalists if it's seen as "just a tool"?

Cheers,
Michael

----- End forwarded message -----