[p2p-hackers] Whistle-blower site platform design

Len Sassaman Len.Sassaman at esat.kuleuven.be
Wed Dec 22 10:44:22 PST 2010

Greetings, p2p-hacker folks,

This list seems to be the most direct spiritual successor to the
cypherpunks list, which is where I'd want to raise this issue if it still
existed.

As most of you are undoubtedly aware, the sudden surge in attention
Wikileaks has gained in the last months have resulted in at least half a
dozen imitation "leaks" sites -- from OpenLeaks, founded by former
Wikileaks staff who have different ideas on how such a site should
operate, to regional whistle-blower and transparency sites such as
Brusselsleaks, Balkanleaks, Pirateleaks.cz, etc.

Let me first state I think that this is absolutely a good thing -- in
principle. Relying on a single initiative such as Wikileaks both gives way
too much power to the organization in question, and makes it a
high-profile target. The rise of independant leak publishers decentralizes
the fundamental service these sites provide, and brings attention back to
the content of their publications rather than the personalities of the
individuals involved.

It's also problematic for a number of reasons: firstly, reputation. Who is
BrusselsLeaks? Why should a whistleblower trust that the operators of that
site have his/her interests in mind? What's to say they're not an
initiative of an intelligence agency? I'm not sure there's anything to be
done about that, except wait and let these other players earn their own
reputation capital.

However, it's painfully clear to me that a number of these sites don't
have the first clue when it comes to technological measures they should be
taking to protect their sources. E.g., BrusselsLeaks is running their
operation with Wordpress and Hushmail -- hardly a hardened solution.

Wikileaks has had four years and the input of top network security
experts, cryptographers, p2p-hackers, and cypherpunks, to create a system
hardened against predictable threats. It's quite likely that had Bradley
Manning not made the mistake of "confessing" to a government snitch posing
as a journalist, he'd not be in jail today. Wikileaks, according to what I
can gather from press reports and comments from people involved, as well
as examining their site, relies on a Tor Hidden Service setup for
receiving submissions. That alone is hardly enough to protect the site
from attacks on the anonymity of its sources, the integrity and security
of its site, or its network presense, but already requires a level of
technical sophistication that is lacking in most of these "copy-cat"
sites.

I'd like to see us come up with an easy-to-deploy solution for launching a
leaks site with the security considerations addressed, perhaps in the form
of a "soft appliance" distribution, but first we need a basic requirements
document. What are the technical security requirements of such a service?

Off the top of my head, I think we can divide this into three parts:

1. General site security. The website/servers need to be resistant to
compromise, and also need to be prepared for the same. The credibility of
Wikileaks would be severely damaged if an attacker were able to, for
example, introduce fake diplomatic cables to the cache of documents
waiting to be released, so that the Wikileaks staff inadvertantly
published false information. So in addition to protecting against
breakins, the system needs to be designed to maintain data integrity in
the face of compromise.

2. Source protection. The site needs to provide a means for whistleblowers
to contact the site operators, discuss issues, and submit documents in an
anonymous manner. Wikileaks solves this with Tor, though there might be
other ways. We need a clearly defined threat model to build against, and
must keep in mind that usability is a security concern -- we have to
assume that the whistleblowers are not geeks, and the site operators may
not be, either.

3. Censorship resistance. If 2. brings to mind Tor, 3. brings to mind the
Eternity Service. In this model, the publisher does not need to be
anonymous, but the data needs to be authenticated and the service
distributed. The CouchDB-based mirrors of the Afghanistan War Diaries
provide a promising first-attempt; to be successful, these sites need to
be able to leverage jurisdictional arbitrage and distributed hosting to
resist network denial of service attacks and legal attacks aimed at
taking their sites offline, as well as data corruption attacks aimed at
invalidating the material by attacking its credibility with the
introduction of false documents, etc.

3.a. would be a way for third-parties to obtain the material provided by
these services in an anonymous fashion; I see this as lower priority than
the other issues, but still something to think about.

My goal here is to develop a formal, realistic model for the operation of
a legitimate journalistic whistle-blower material clearinghouse. I'm
basically proposing we replicate in public, with peer-review, the process
I assume Wikileaks itself has undergone for the design of their system.
Let's identify the likely attacks and attack vectors for given
adversaries, compose a solution based on available technology, and
assemble it in as easily deployable a manner as possible.

Who else is interested? Let's get this discussion rolling.

Best,

Len

----- End forwarded message -----