Everyone and no one wants to save the world

Kragen Javier Sitaker kragen at canonical.org
Mon Dec 13 12:45:26 PST 2010

I was reading the Reuters piece today on Julian Assange by Mark
Hosenball, "Special Report: Julian Assange versus the world", which I
would link to if Reuters provided stable URLs.  He gives mixed reviews
to Assange's published writings:

> His blog entries, which can still be found on the web, are a mixture
> of pseudo-scientific and philosophical gibberish, cultural and
> literary observations ("Kurt Vonnegut is dead."), extremely technical
> computer coding sequences and often jumbled political statements.

Pseudo-scientific and philosophical gibberish?  That hardly seems in
character with the hard-nosed, unflappable public figure we see today.
I wondered which writings Hosenball meant.  He goes into more detail
a bit later:

> In an essay entitled "Jackboots," Assange describes how he felt that
> his own personal travails were comparable to the experiences of Gulag
> prisoners in Alexander Solzhenitsyn's novel "The First Circle" -- the
> story of a brilliant mathematician imprisoned by Stalin and forced to
> choose between aiding the state or being transferred to a Siberian
> camp.

> "To feel that home is the comraderie (sic) of persecuted, and infact
> (sic) prosecuted, polymaths in a Stalinist slave labor camp! How close
> the parallels to my own adventures!" Another essay, this one almost
> incomprehensible, is headlined: "Everyone and no one wants to save the
> world."

Almost incomprehensible, eh?  I googled up a copy at
<http://www.sidkay.com/post/1985856429/everyone-and-no-one-wants-to-save-the-world>.
It turns out to be perfectly clear and lucid, although it contains a
number of debatable and unsupported assertions.

My conclusion: Hosenball merely cannot tell the difference between
material beyond his own rather mediocre reading level, and gibberish.

Here's the essay, with spelling and punctuation improved because the
original hurts my eyes:

----- End forwarded message -----