[tor] Softlayer finally kicks us from their data center

Zaphod Beeblebrox zbeeble at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 08:39:25 PST 2010

On that note, I'm an ISP.  I'm not in the US.  I buy my network from
tier 1/2.  So... my comments?

On the cost side, Cogent and Hurricane Electric both sell 100 meg in
the $400 to $500 range in top tier data centers.  You can easily get
Gigabit for $1500 from them (unmetered).  So add $500/month for half a
rack and another $200 for power, and you've got your own (tiny) colo
company.  Add a few l2tp connections to carriers and you have your own
internet service company.

But the DMCA notices go to the ARIN contact for the block.  If you
just get service, you may not be set as the "owner" (according to
ARIN) of the block.  I've been ignoring DMCA notices for 10 years
(again, I'm not in the US) for both my subscribers, and (for the last
year) TOR.  The "new" thing has been RCMP calls about child porn (nice
users TOR has :).  I also get a DDOS every couple of months.  Luckily,
I can absorb most of them.

Really, though, there's only 86 days of IPv4 allocation left (see HE's
status page or gadget).  The time for you to set up a company, get raw
bandwidth and speak BGP with your peers is likely come and gone.  TOR
needs to think about IPv6.

----- End forwarded message -----