Hooray for Wikileaks, boo for Assange

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 4 18:05:26 PST 2010

Well, I think that's certainly a reasonable argument.

On the other hand, note that Cryptome has done largely the same thing for,
what, well over 10 years now. But Young has kept a far lower profile, with the
emphasis on the material, as opposed to generating a lot of publicity. Would
Manning have sent his materials to Cryptome in the absence of Wikileaks? I
don't think so. Call that bullshit but that's the way most people actually
function.

Sometimes, you need an obvious figure in order to garner sufficient
attention.

You could also argue that Assange isn't really in this for much other than his
own glory, but I don't care much.

Indeed, when the furor over Wikileaks dies down, one can easily see a flotilla
of similar though truly anonymous sites operating. But Wikileaks will have
been the site that brought such ideas into common thinking.

-TD

> Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 16:49:37 +0000
> From: case at sdf.lonestar.org
> To: camera_lumina at hotmail.com
> CC: cypherpunks at al-qaeda.net
> Subject: Re: Hooray for Wikileaks, boo for Assange
>
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2010, Tyler Durden wrote:
>
> > John Young mourned the death of crypto and cypherpunks, but here we are
> > precisely in a situation in which a government couldn't bomb or
assassinate or
> > otherwise throw some jackbooted tantrum or threat in order to get its'
way.

> > It's cute too that, just like "rendition", Assange and Wikileaks operate
in a
> > nebulous amalgam of jurisdictions. Is it illegal for them to do what they
did?
> > In which country? OK, what about another country and its' mirror sites?
And