Is Bell back in?

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Sun Aug 22 10:50:46 PDT 2010

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010, R.A. Hettinga wrote:

> > JUDGMENT ON REVOCATION OF SUPERVISED RELEASE
>
> Thanks, Greg.

I neglected to say thanks in my reply - bad Alif.

Thank you for the PACER-puff Greg.

> Sometimes, it helps *not* to stand on a street corner and throw rocks at cop
> cars.

Pretty much what everyone is likely thinking.  While I wrote pretty much
the same thing, I *do* get his rage (I'm involved in a>2 year old BS
federal case myself, and I also get madder and madder every day) at being
the floppy boneless chicken that is thrown about the grounds for the
entertainment of those who are mad at Jim for having a lick of sense, and
a taste of freedom (he had so heavily paid his price for).

I just hope that whenhe gets out, next, he is able to either work
*somewhere*, or lacking that, find some way to get by. It's tough having a
felony in these post 9/11 days: there is no longer a concept of "done the
time, the crime is paid for" - today, a crime is punished by lifetime
unemployment (even Walmart won't let you sell sodas if you have a felony
behind you. Even 40 years behind you!), as well as lifetime punishments
that are unexpected: no more fair access to the courts (any case filed
against you, no matter how off the wall or just plain crazy will succeed,
and any case you file, no matter how locked-in and unquestionable, will be
dismissed at your costs); little to no protection from the police (but
plenty of harassment); extreme difficulty in finding housing; a permanent
loss of basic rights to self defense (this one I *really* don't get, at
least for non-violent offenders - of course, if you've punched that
ticket, you're *obviously* violent, right?); the loss of you pretense at
picking your leader (no loss there), etc.

Really, the *only* upside to having a felony is that you are permanently
barred from jury duty.

//Alif

--
"Never belong to any party, always oppose privileged classes and public
plunderers, never lack sympathy with the poor, always remain devoted to

Joseph Pulitzer, 1907 Speech