Fwd: paper on technology manias and gullibility

R.A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Thu Aug 5 15:04:34 PDT 2010

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Andrew Odlyzko <odlyzko at umn.edu>
> Date: August 5, 2010 12:48:08 PM AST
> To: Andrew Odlyzko <odlyzko at umn.edu>
> Subject: paper on technology manias and gullibility
>
> I had a note in my files that you expressed an interest in the
> project comparing the Internet bubble to the British Railway
> Mania of the 1840s.  So here is the announcement of my fourth
> work on this topic.  Unlike the previous three, this one is
> primarily about the Internet bubble and future ones.
>
> Any comments you might have would be greatly appreciated.
>
> If I had you on the list by mistake, please accept my apologies.
> If you will let me know, I will remove your email address right
> away from the list.
>
> Best regards,
> Andrew
>

> 	     http://www.dtc.umn.edu/~odlyzko/doc/mania03.pdf
>

>          Bubbles, gullibility, and other challenges for economics,
>             psychology, sociology, and information sciences
>
>                            Andrew Odlyzko
>
>                        School of Mathematics
>                    and Digital Technology Center
>                       University of Minnesota
>
>                            odlyzko at umn.edu
>                    http://www.dtc.umn.edu/~odlyzko
>
>                  Preliminary version, August 5, 2010
>

>                             ABSTRACT
>
>   Gullibility is the principal cause of bubbles.  Investors and the general
public get snared by a "beautiful illusion" and throw caution to the wind.
Attempts to identify and control bubbles are complicated by the fact that the
authorities who might naturally be expected to take action have often
(especially in recent years) been among the most gullible, and were
cheerleaders for the exuberant behavior.  Hence what is needed is an objective
measure of gullibility.

>   This paper argues that it should be possible to develop such a measure.
Examples demonstrate, contrary to the efficient market dogma, that in some
manias, even top-level business and technology leaders do fall prey to
collective hallucinations and become irrational in objective terms.  During
the Internet bubble, for example, large classes of them first became unable to
comprehend compound interest, and then lost even the ability to do simple
arithmetic, to the point of not being able to distinguish 2 from 10.  This
phenomenon, together with advances in analysis of social networks and related
areas, points to possible ways to develop objective and quantitative tools for
measuring gullibility and other aspects of human behavior implicated in
bubbles.  It cannot be expected to infallibly detect all destructive bubbles,
and may trigger false alarms, but it ought to alert observers to periods where
collective investment behavior is becoming irrational.

>   The proposed gullibility index might help in developing realistic economic
models.  It should also assist in illuminating and guiding decision making.

> The previous three papers in this series are available at:
>
> 1.  Collective hallucinations and inefficient markets: The British Railway
Mania of the 1840s

> 	http://www.dtc.umn.edu/~odlyzko/doc/hallucinations.pdf
>

> 2.  This time is different: An example of a giant, wildly speculative, and
successful investment mania, B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, vol.
10, issue 1, 2010, article 60 (registration required)

> 	http://www.bepress.com/bejeap/vol10/iss1/art60
>
>   preprint available at:
>
>        http://www.dtc.umn.edu/~odlyzko/doc/mania01.pdf
>

> 3.  The collapse of the Railway Mania, the development of capital markets,
and Robert Lucas Nash, a forgotten pioneer of accounting and financial
analysis